Question about recommendations

Cassius

Further to the Blondie41 post on builders etc, can someone please let me know how one can recommend someone if they happen to be a friend but you still think that they do a very good job and deserve recommendation.

Is it ok to say "XYZ is a brilliant carpet fitter" or do you need to add that XYZ is a friend or member of the family to clarify the situation.

I don't want to fall foul by accident.

Just posted this on one of those threads

She has also requested a tutor for her daughter's english work, so what if she gave a heads up to this builder, even if it her husband.

I've recommended a plumber on here before who was as good as family, and who has never done any work for me in his life (he's done loads for my mum). I do however know him to be a great plumber, so I made up a little white lie to try and send some business his way. I also know people have used him, and have been told at folum drinks he did a good job, so everyone's a winner!

There are so many recommendations on here, and I'd bet money that most of them are for mates or family!

Sorry, not trying to start a row, but I don't see the problem here, especially when pubs get to advertise all their events in the "what's on" section. I don't have a problem with that, but it's still free advertising.

With the exception of the admin, who works hard on this forum, I really don't see why it gets other people's backs up... Unless of course they are in competition with the accused, and want to put a slur on their name!

• Administrator

Just be honest and declare they are a friend, there is nothing wrong with that. If questioned reply fairly, do not bite back and say you are being treated like a criminal, that is a sure sign of deceit and annoys me.

I have already apologised to Keef but I have removed his post from the other section, there are false postings on here and I have to deal with them as I see fit. I remove quite a few of them but every now and then I decide to show them up, hopefully nipping them in the bud. It is meant to be a useful and friendly site and dishonesty is not really appreciated.

And they should be East Dulwich companies where possible, her company she was promoting is in Tooting.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Cassius for raising this question, I joined the forum yesterday and was going to ask the same thing about recommendations.

I live in East Dulwich and my sister is a beauty therapist, whom works from home. She has a room that has been converted into a Salon. If I am understanding correctly, if I wish to recommend her to anyone, I should state that she is my sister in the recommendations postings, so that I am being fair to all and that I am allowed to do that.

Hi Pearl

Welcome to the forum, hopefully you'll find it fun and useful. I set up the forum and I know it's only when people are dishonest and sneaky that it gets the Admin's back up, like the woman mentioned above after being questioned posted two other messages then tried to use them as a defence that she was legitimate which didn't wash with Admin. And of course pub's promoting themselves in the what's on section is allowed, they declare who they are and what they're promoting and is all above board.

So yes that's fine to tell people about your sister, think of it like you're telling a group of friends about her and what she does. She's also welcome to promote herself and offer her services for free once on the forum in the wanted/offered section. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask me or the Administrator, or of course ask everyone on the forum.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the detailed reply. The site is a very good idea and have already told a few people about it that live in the area.

My next question was about the option to promote herself once in the wanted/offered section, so I will definately let her know about this great way of making herself known.

Thank you