How does a Forumite become banned?

MadWorld74

• Administrator

From my point of view, if I have warned people of their antagonistic, racist, aggressive, threatening, abusive or offensive posts and then they continue do so, I usually give them another warning. If they do it again then they are banned.

In the last two years only three people have been permanently banned for that, there have also been some temporary bans administered.

Or if someone falsely represents a company they are banned. About ten have been banned for that and then there's spammers, they've just banned straight away.

For those who have not seen, please have a look at the terms http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?12,11

[edited once]

I have heard of two forumities that have been 'banned' from netball... er um... sorry I meant the Forum. And having read what the Administrator has put above this post, the reasons why and warnings that are issued, surely no one has been that inflamitory, racist or abusive, have they to warrant such an old fashioned and big brother like response by being banned?

For a London based forum I feel it has gotten a little too reserved. I understand the role that Administrator has to play and it's importance as the forum grows with more people posting threads, but I also feel there is a definate inequality with some of the 'older' more well known and loved posters, who seemingly throw their forum weight about, and the newer people; who in my eyes, seem to get slammed for saying boo to a goose.

I was a regular poster, when it was a more relaxed affair. It seems to have gotten so big now that rules and regulations have had to be inforced. I have enough of those to deal with on a daily basis just living in London. I don't need to have them flashing up infront of me when I log onto a local community website....c'est la vie.

• Administrator

With respect I am afraid you do not know what happens behind the scenes on the forum and you do not see the messages that are removed. You do not see the emails I receive from upset people who have been on the receiving end of malicious postings. You do not see the legal threats I receive from individuals and companies. You are not with me when I personally visit traders and shop keepers to say hello and have a chat with them about postings that are about their livelihoods. You do not hear the conversations I have had when the police have contacted me about forum issues.

There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes and I have to deal with issues as I see best. Sometimes I maybe wrong and make mistakes, not very often, but I do. The 'older' people you mention have been told off before and take being told off with a pinch of salt, a bit of humour but respect it as do the majority of the new posters.

I agree with you that it used to be more relaxed, when you joined there were about 490 people visiting the forum everyday, now it is 1,900 everyday. Unfortunately there seems to have been a spate if nastiness recently which I have had to deal with. I do not like childish, bullying spitefulness and I believe others do not either so I try and stop it and I hope you can understand that. Therefore when people direct vitriolic and abusive comments at me it is especially not appreciated. I try and create a relaxed environment which people can use freely but there has to be rules otherwise it would be a place where only the loudest and aggressive get heard and I want everyone to have a voice. I am trying to create a decent environment and please think of me as someone who is trying to help keep the place tidy.

I hope that helps reassure you and thank you for letting me know your thoughts, I do not know what people think unless they tell me. I am going to leave you with a message based on post from a year and a half a go that was aimed at the now 'older' forum users:

"Imagine if someone opened a free art gallery and lots of people came and enjoyed it (for free), then a few people came and painted graffiti over the walls and the floor and the ceiling and made it unwelcoming, and when confronted and questioned they said "it's a free gallery, we can do what we want". The (unpaid) caretaker replied "I like to keep this place tidy for everyone, I want it to be a nice place for as many people as possible and I am afraid I do not want your crap graffiti everywhere as it detracts from the surrounding beauty, please do not do it. Now excuse me while I scrub off the willy and balls you have so humorously spray painted onto this canvas" and then one of the hoodlums said "how dare you remove my crap graffiti, what gives you the right, just because you don't like it ..." etc etc.

edit - ps I am open to constructive criticism, you will see the a few "de-lounged" threads after people have raised objections to see that.

Can you mail Spangles and tell her why she was banned? Or perhaps you can state publically the reason(s). Was she 'racist' or 'aggressive'? She believes it is because she called Sean McGabbhan's postings 'insipid'. I quite liked Spangles's postings. She says she received no warnings about her 'behaviour'. What did she do wrong? Will I get banned for posing this question?

Poor Spangles is so upset at being banned she has gone for a stroll down Bellenden Rd, wearing the shoes she recently purchased from davina Boutique. On the way home she will undoubtedly purchase some ornaments from some of the shops in Lordship Lane, before meeting her best friend SeanMacGabhann for a coffee. Best he check it for arsenic before imbibing.

Poor Spangles

Poor nothing. She was proper offensive on a number of threads, and I'd say the action taken by mr.admin, based as he has clearly stated on a picture much bigger than the one we saw, is fair.

My posting rate has tailed off of late (and i'm not an "older" forumite) because there are an increasing number of threads that are started purely by someone attempting to get a rise, targetting admin with panic-fire criticism, or arguing for the sake of their "rights" (like this thread here). The content tends to be pointless, billious, and I have to take the choice of getting sucked into it by people who must just want an arguement (or else why would they be posting such utter arse-gravy) or not posting at all. I'm opting for the latter an increasing amount.

So stop whining about your offensive mate who "doesn't know what she's done wrong", said presumably while large, manga style eyes glaze over with tears.

Offensive that we saw, more that admin has had to deal with, got banned.

And for the record, I never complained about spangles either. I just don't like this crappy whining. Grow up.

Can you give some examples of She was proper offensive on a number of threads'? MadWorld has had a good loock and can't find anything. Perhaps you can help 'bignumber5'. Thank you so much. And it is 'argument' - without an 'e'. Your posting is actually very offensive and rude.

touche (can't put accent on, though, so this could go round in circles for some time...)

And no, I can't give you some examples. That would be me getting drawn into a pointless arguement. Just look through her old posts.

But thanks for the sneaky effort and the spelling tips. Maybe loock at your own posts next ;-)