Polls

AcedOut

I find that polls tend to be abused unless they're used for only the most joky subjects.

A good example was the parking survey. From the results obtained earlier this year, a straight poll on controlled parking would have returned an 70%+ majority rejecting controlled parking schemes.

However, for those most affected - i.e. residents of the streets around LL and the station - we would have seen over 90% in favour of controlled parking with either residents only or pay & display.

Hence opponents of controlled parking were those that had most to gain from gaily flitting in and out of the centre and parking as and where they wished - exactly the group whose activity controlled parking looked to curtail. Their arguments were disingenuous, as they argued as if they were the ones living in the controlled streets and the benefits didn't exist.

A straight poll would have incorrectly allowed this group to claim overwhelming support for their position, against the misrepresented wishes of those who desperately want a parking scheme....

So, not a great fan of polls.

What is it you want to poll on?

I'm not suggesting we use it for democratic decision making for the area. Rather more light-hearted topics, such as "How long have you been living in ED?", just off the top of my head.

've seen some good forum software that can handle polls in a clean way - usually just adding the poll at the top of the thread by the topic creator, leaving it optional as to whether one wants to fill it in or not.

• 4 weeks later...

i've only just seen this thread, but was going to suggest the same myself

of course, they're not for serious decision making and can only be as good as the questions asked by the originator, but i think that they could give some interesting (if unscientific) info about the views of those on the forum