Forum signatures

Sue

Why is there no clear guidance in the forum rules, so far as I can see, about who is allowed to have a signature and what the criteria are?

On each post, there is a box to be ticked which says "add my signature to this post", but nothing, so far as I can see, about who is allowed to have one.

So, we have a humanist funeral person (respect!) and a few politicians who are allowed to freely advertise their services/politics via their signature. However people such as myself and FlapJackDavey who introduced music gigs to an area which was a musical desert because they saw a community need for it (and actually asked forum users whether they would like us to do this) are no longer allowed to include a link to their website saying when and where the gigs are (all in East Dulwich) on the grounds that it is a "business".

And because apparently the forum admin has to constantly explain to every tradesperson or whatever why they can't do the same.

Surely a) the difference between a builder making a living from a building business and someone putting on music events in their spare time is quite obvious and b) if it isn't, a clear explanation in the forum rules would suffice?

• Administrator

I thought we were conducting this conversation via PM but obviously not.

I have explained to you twice now why your signature is not longer allowed, we know you are not a business and we know you are an event. I have also explained that it is unfair for you to say that it will be the forum's fault if your event does not attract new people. The forum has nothing to do with your event, we have allowed you to have a free signature for ages now, and now we have asked you to remove it you are kicking up a fuss which comes across as very ungrateful. There is a what's on section, just keep posting your event in there, the same as everyone else.

The reason there is not a rule about events in signatures is because that rule would only affect you, so we thought we would politely has a word with you rather than have to add yet another rule. However we have now added "...event signatures are not allowed" to the rules now to make it clearer.

We were conducting it via PM, but you didn't reply to my last PM.

What's a "free signature"? Why are politicians allowed "free signatures"? Are there signatures which you can have if you pay for? We can't afford to place an advert - we did ask how much it would cost a while ago, and it was too expensive.

I am not "kicking up a fuss", whatever that is, if you now have a rule that "event signatures are not allowed" then fair enough, it's your forum, for which I have expressed gratitude many times, but the rule wasn't there before.

I just feel a bit aggrieved (sp?) that people who have really worked to improve what's going on in East Dulwich are not being encouraged, but fair enough, as I say, it's your forum, it is whatever you want it to be.

Pax :)

• Administrator

Sorry about the delay in replying to your PM sent yesterday, I have said it to you before, I/we are not online 24/7 to answer your queries.

"free" in this case means advertising something and not paying for the advertising.

I assume you mean the councillor and his signature, he's not really advertising is he, he states who he is and his email so that his constituents can contact him.

Pax :)

perhaps removing the signature facility all together would be a better idea as surely if you really look at it expressing ones thougt by such means is also advertising and free?

Not everyone wants to see particular things , not meaning you at all here Sue,for example political views by known active participants on their "signatures"... just a thought

Yes I agree, better to remove the signature facility altogether, or else allow everyone to have a signature unless it is blatantly either being used excessively for advertising purposes or is offensive.

It's not just the Lib Dem councillor, there is also a Green person whose signature is promoting Green things - I'm not opposed to either of them, good luck to them, just seems the present system is divisive.

• Administrator

So we should stop the local councillor giving out his contact details in a signature because Sue cannot promote her folk night the same way? Sorry but we will not do that.

Sue you have been advertising in your signature for ages and we turned a blind eye to it because it we're friendly like that. As explained to you we frequently get people advertising in their signature, we ask them not to and they frequently come back with "but Sue does, why can't we?". We usally start a dialogue about how it's a legacy thing and we allow it but it has become to much hassle for us to reply to those people every time.

We really hoped you would have just said "fair enough, thanks for all the free promotion I had with the signature, I guess I'll just carry on using the What's on section anyway". But you don't, please just drop it so I can just carry on keeping threads on topic, moving threads to the right section and keeping the place tidy for others.

And now I have had my signature doctored too.

I can't advertise in what's on section every time I do a funeral.

Not happy. Should I delete the bit reminding people to do the good things like donor cards blood donations writing a will? I've had PMs and emails thanking me for reminding people to do that sort of thing. I try and be community concientous.

You should count yourself lucky you're able to advertise or provide a link to your wares at all. My good friend and quaffing partner Steveo has never been allowed to advertise the two books he has written (Guns, Cash & Rock n' Roll and London Babylon - both excellent reads by the way, oops quick plug there) neither of which he has made any profit on but other people on here like yourself and Sue and Keef with his signature for his band Baregroove have seemingly been allowed to do just that for ages.

Okay. I think as he was fairly new to the forum at the time he posted those he probably went the wrong way about it. I think he was wanting to put a link at the end of his posts like a signature in the way way that Peckhamrose, Sue and Keef have done but was told he wasn't allowed.

Jah Lush Wrote: (edited by Sue)

-------------------------------------------------------

> > My good friend and quaffing partner Steveo has

> never been allowed to advertise the two books he

> has written but other people on here like Sue

have seemingly been allowed to do just

> that for ages.

xxxxxxx

I don't particularly want to continue this discussion because I have reluctantly accepted admin's ruling, but may I just say that presumably neither of your friend's books has anything to do with East Dulwich (apologies if I'm wrong).

Our Goose gigs were started specifically to bring folk music to East Dulwich because there wasn't any here, and my signature (Folk returns to East Dulwich etc) was intended to let people know that. We only started putting on the gigs after posting on this forum to find out whether people would be interested and getting a very positive response.

However after two years we still get people living in ED who have only just heard of us. We don't have time to promote the Goose as widely as we'd like to as we both have day jobs, which was why the signature was so useful as it reached people in the area who were interested in folk music but who might never look in the "what's on" section.

Anyway it's water under the bridge now.

• Administrator
PeckhamRose, we are confused back here, we have allowed you to continue promoting those things (Giving Blood, wills etc) but it seems you are not happy with that decision so we have removed your signature. Now that means that there are no promotional signatures on the forum (as far as we know). Can we draw a line there? Please?

Can't people make a payment in kind for their signatures?

Eg, if a member of the forum tragically pops their clogs Peckhamrose can do the service and the congregation can give blood and write wills afterwards, Sue or Keef can provide the music with lorraineliyanage at the piano.

Christ almighty what is so dangerous or unfavourable or unfair or unreasonable about reminding people to write a will and GIVE BLOOD! What is wrong with you! I don't just remind them I provide links so they can get to the relevant pages. It's a service! What's wrong with that! Now you're just being difficult.

I personally can't see the problem with signatures unless either a) they are offensive in some way or b) someone is clearly posting on the forum with the sole purpose of getting their signature about.

If some are removed and not others, which is what is happening now, that is just unfair and divisive.

Why is it not OK to have signatures advertising things which are of clear benefit to the East Dulwich community, like a humanist funeral celebrant, and folk music events, which people may not otherwise know about, but OK to have politicians advertising their political party just before an election?

If people want to contact these politicians they can PM them on the forum, so they do not need to give other contact details.

PeckhamRose Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Christ almighty what is so dangerous or

> unfavourable or unfair or unreasonable about

> reminding people to write a will and GIVE BLOOD!

> What is wrong with you! I don't just remind them

> I provide links so they can get to the relevant

> pages. It's a service! What's wrong with that!

> Now you're just being difficult.

Nothing PeckhamRose - it's just unnecessary.

If you want to advertise pay for it.