The Forum's having some work done on it...

Ladymuck

So, who's the one feeling sufficiently humourless today who transferred this from the Lounge to here?:(

Yeah, I know...it's about this forum...yada yada yada...I'm still not happy...see...grumpy smiley:'(

PS: could we also have a crying smiley emoticon please? And one sticking its tongue out...oh, and may as well go the whole hog and have one sticking one or two fingers up? Is that possible please? :)) Ta.

Normally, from my past experience with servers and work being done, the Administrator explains the precise nature of the outage i.e. system being unavailable due to increasing memory to improve performance. So please could you inform us of the precise nature of the outage as, you are probably aware, there are many addicts of the forum who would probably like to know why and in the nature of being open as well.

GLASNOST.

• Administrator

I do tend to tell people usually but most of them don't give a damn, in this case I thought a "performing some routine upgrading work" would suffice.

But in the spirit of Glasnost there were 261 software packages that needed updating on the server in order for it to be resilient and efficient. During the upgrade process the server connection was lost, intermittently. After some some trial and error investigation we had to restart the network daemons on the server and it was able to be seen again. Should you still be awake and interested we had to manually connect to the server and run /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart, that did the trick. We suspect there was run time error or a connection error that caused the problems.

Only 120 packages were upgraded last night so we will endeavour to upgrade the rest soon.

• Administrator

Most people don't give a damn and so in this case I thought a "performing some routine upgrading work" would suffice as an explaination.

But in the spirit of Glasnost there were 261 software packages that needed updating on the server, during the upgrade process the server connection was lost, intermittently. After some some trial and error investigation we had to restart the network daemons on the server and it was able to be seen again. Should you still be awake and interested we had to manually connect to the server and run /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart, that did the trick. We suspect there was run time error or a connection error that caused the problems.

Huguenot, some of us take great interest in the forum be it quietly in the background and raising our heads every now and again. This is just to complete the circle and because I am a nosy git.

As for admin. being open - why not? And it's good to see that /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart fixed the problem. Once again, sharing knowledge - nice to know.

I'll take your word for it Odyssey, but you'll have to take it from me that neither of these sounds like a friendly enquiry from an otherwise charming 'nosy git', they actually sound like a lawyer in cross-examination:

"Normally... the Administrator explains the precise nature of the outage"

That sounds like your accusing someone of negligence or arrogance.

"inform us of the precise nature of the outage"

That sounds like you're the boss instructing a naughty boy. A self-elevation I think is just downright rude.

All credit to admin for overlooking this clear breach of etiquette. I haven't.

Huguenot,

Being a former Systems' Administrator, part of keeping the user base content and informed was that I would explain the nature of any outage and the reasons why. This was perfectly normal and kept people informed of precisely what was going on. Admin. are very right, most people don't give a damn, but what I used to find was that there were always the few who wanted to know more.

Anyhow, it's always nice to have a new sparring partner on here. I hope that you don't mind if every now and again I raise my head to deliver that occasional knock-out punch.;-)

"Being a former Systems' Administrator, part of keeping the user base content and informed was that I would explain the nature of any outage and the reasons why."

I was right then, you think you know better and you're telling Admin how to do his job ;-)

I've no desire to spar with you, I thought you were rude not arrogant.

• 1 month later...

"The forum's having some maintenance work done on it tonight. It will be down from 9:00pm for about an hour."

Oooooh, will that mean a speedier forum?

Right. I'm going to get in as much as I can before 9.00pm. If I recall correctly, "about an hour" can prove a very long time to a forum addict.

Hope it all goes smoothly, and that you don't have to resort to praying ;-).