Sue unable to connect to EDF

flapjackdavey

Posting this on behalf of Sue.

Sue is getting a message "DNS error occured. Server cannot be found."

Happens whether going to EDF directly, via google or by emailed links.

Using Firefox.

Obviously anyone else having the same problem won't be able to post to say so.

Getting onto other websites OK.

Is this likely to be a more general problem? Help!

I've been getting this message on a regular basis now ever since the last upgrade:

The connection has timed out

The server at www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk is taking too long to respond.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few

moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network

connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure

that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

(I'm going to copy this over to the "Ask Admin" thread, in case Admin don't pick this up here).

The error messages highlighted above have happened to me on a couple of occassion over the years on the forum. I haven't had them for a long time tho and not since any recent ugrades - and that is on 4 different devices

In the past the messages just went away and I assumed it was something on my router or ISP side

I wonder if Ladymuck and Sue share a common ISP or anything else which might narrow the cause down?

If it's really bad, another useful diagnostic might be to run tracert:

tracert www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk

If running Windows, you can run it in a Dos[-like] command (cmd) window.

It reports the times spent on individual hops from node to node by packets in three trials.

It's taking twenty hops for me, at present, half of those at my ISP's end!, but always getting through.

One server en route, te1-7.mpd01.lon01.atlas.cogentco.com, currently seems to be a consistently weak link from where I am (not all test packets getting through), though I don't know whether that necessarily indicates it as a significant increaser of perceived latency. The test is likely to be more informative in cases where your browser does time-out.

• Administrator

Our support people have said:

Network Issues

We are receiving reports that some some ISPs' customers are experiencing network issues reaching our services. This is due to a hardware failure at the London Internet Exchange earlier this morning.

Update 10.35am

Our network provider has decided to re-route traffic, thus avoiding the LINX hardware problem. Our services should now be visible from all routes and ISPs.

-------------

I guess this has to do with the trace route timing out so I'm afraid it's out of my control. If you are still having issues after 6pm please could you post a message on here and I will raise a ticket with our support people.

Hello Admin,

Hubby has finally got around to having a look at the timing out problem which I have been experiencing. I just thought I should let you know that, in our case, it is definitely not an EDF server/network issue - rather, a phone extension matter from our end (which, he promises me, he will sort out in no time at all, ha ha ha).

Apologies if I caused you sleepless nights.