Forum extremely slow again tonight

Sue

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I expect starting another thread will sort it out

xxxxxxxx

You find out a lot about other people's nature on this forum, don't you. I don't exclude myself from that comment.

ETA: I started the thread because I thought other people might be having the same problem, and if so it was something that maybe admin needed to look at.

Honestly a bit of ribbing and you get this...

Ok - the reason I was being catty was because you have a whole thread already devoted to you and the forum being slow - you could have updated that rather than start yet another thread.

But I'll tell you what I do when the forum is slow... I go "oooh the forum is a bit slow at the moment... I 'spect it'll be back to normal in a bit"

If it's not back to normal in a bit I'll do something that'll get admin's attention. Posting another "slow" thread in this section is unlikely to get any immediate response so I'll report a message which sends an email to admin - that might get his attention

If that doesn't work I somethimes stand outside his house naked but for a sandwich board saying "the forum is slow again"

But usually I just wait until it picks up again. If the forum is slow because of server issues he usually notices

Point taken Sean, but my other thread was about not being able to connect at all, so it's a different issue.

Fair enough, next time I will send a PM if that's what you would prefer.

The trouble with that is that if there's a more general problem, admin won't know because probably most people having difficulty won't be arsed to send a PM. So therefore the problem won't be addressed because admin will think only one person is affected.

I never used to have problems and it does seem to me there is an issue, as it doesn't happen on other sites.

If you feel admin already notices when the server is slow, then I will just stfu in future :))

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

> Honestly a bit of ribbing and you get this...

> If that doesn't work I somethimes stand outside

> his house naked but for a sandwich board saying

> "the forum is slow again"

Mr Mac, I like a bit of ribbing. Tell me where you live so I can look out for you & that sign

I may need to get quite close as I can't see without my glasses, though a quick grope around usually gets my bearings

In anticipation ( my specs are steaming up now )

Slow, slow, quick quick, slooooow

::o

A.Curtain

• Administrator

The similarity is uncanny SeanMacGabhann!

We are keeping an eye on the server's performance, nothing has changed on it but it may just be the volume of traffic. The stats for yesterday, Jan 19th 2011 were:

7,612 Visits

4,600 Absolute Unique Visitors

69,432 Pageviews

which is quite a high load on the server and may cause it to slow down. If there's a server administrator out there who can do some server monitoring to tell us of any issues then please let yourself be known.

Don't know anything about servers but I guess traffic volume could be the cause if it's generally increased lately and is particularly high at certain times.

I don't have the problem all the time, but when I do it's extremely bad - loading a page is like watching paint dry :-S

ETA: I shall always imagine you like that now, Sean :))

Administrator Wrote:

> it may just be the volume of traffic.

Do you log http_referrers and/or which pages/threads are being viewed?

Is it possible that some combination of words herein coincides with a topical news story or search query? Or has a popular blog linked to a particular thread? Or is the server being crawled repeatedly by a rogue or broken spider-bot?

My websites have experienced all of the above sending the stats through the roof from-time-to-time.

• 2 weeks later...

Lot of problems again tonight. Anyone else?

I'm constantly getting this message (no problems on any other websites):

The connection has timed out

The server at www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk is taking too long to respond.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few

moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network

connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure

that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.