Postpone New User Registration

Huguenot

Is it possible to postpone all new user registration for, say, a month?

I can't think of another way of getting rid of the multiple registration dickheads.

I'm thinking that with 24,000 already registered we're not going to be damaging the forum much. How many new registrations actually contribute much anyway?

Is all the buying and selling from new users?

Putting up with it isn't quite what I had in mind - I like to actually enjoy the forum, not put up with it.

I can kind of cope with AllforNun by putting them on hide, but these mentalists keep re-registering with new names every day - and sometimes several times a day.

I consider it abuse, and seee no reason why we should have to put up with it.

It's taking the joy away.

I don't think huguenot is being ME ME ME at all. If buyers and sellers are unaffected so far, just wait for the Lounge to run dry and watch the idiots overrun those sections too

Doesn't mean I think his proposed solution is the right one, but clearly there is A Problem that didn't exist before. It might go away by itself but I suspect it will get worse

the trend is well established on many other forums and measures like this have had to be introduced (not a month, but some sort of clearance)

It has been done before when a certain banned poster enlisted some help to cause trouble and they did denial of service attacks on the forum. It was a temporary measure then until they lost interest.

Problem here is that many banned posters just don't lose interest and have been returning over a long period of time.

I'm not sure sadly there is a solution other than vigilance and the tedious tasking of uncovering them and banning them over and over again :(

I'm thinking that with 24,000 already registered we're not going to be damaging the forum much. How many new registrations actually contribute much anyway?

As a percentage of total? Not many I would guess. But we were all new users once. I wonder how many people dip a toe into the water but find the strong-knit (or diametrically opposed) group of existing posters a bit intimidating and/or difficult to participate with on an equal level, so they don't bother.

Our mystery poster is a proper PITA, although I'm perversely quite enjoying trying to spot him/her at an early stage in his various incarnations...

• 4 weeks later...

as well as several bots in operation at the moment I see a couple of posters have been banned several times in the past and insist on coming back exhibiting the same behaviour

Not saying a holding pen for new registrations is a cure-all but I can see the temptation

I think that has to depend on the reason for the ban, Otta.

I was once banned from the West Dulwich Forum for "previous 'form' of being mischievously disruptive". However, following an appeal by a hugely disgruntled moi, I was speedily reinstated - i.e. given another chance.

• Administrator

Otta Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If a person is banned, then comes back and

> behaves, should they be given another chance?

No. It means they have abused the ban which means their second chance has been used up. When BBW was given eight chances by me and each time continued to break the rules it meant my 'give them a bit of slack it's only a forum' attitude went out the window.

However if they apologise then they will more than likely get another chance. Unless of course they are MikeCG or one of the racists then it's a life ban and the police are made aware of them.

• 3 weeks later...

Problem with that Huguenot is sleeper cells, could be hundreds of them waiting to be woken up ..pointless. By the way your bursts of foul language hint at podagra.

Best thing is to employ a rigorous and judicous ADMIN, who act fairly but most importantly impartially. Local political pressure must be kept at an arm and a poles length.

The Feather of Freedom demands it x

• 1 month later...

Administrator Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Otta Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > If a person is banned, then comes back and

> > behaves, should they be given another chance?

>

> No. It means they have abused the ban which means

> their second chance has been used up. When BBW was

> given eight chances by me and each time continued

> to break the rules it meant my 'give them a bit of

> slack it's only a forum' attitude went out the

> window.

>

> However if they apologise then they will more than

> likely get another chance. Unless of course they

> are MikeCG or one of the racists then it's a life

> ban and the police are made aware of them.

What was wrong with MikeCG?