Forum Sponsors

http://northwooduk.com/estate-agents/dulwich

http://www.urbanspaceltd.co.uk

http://www.shuttersup.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
messageAsk Admin
Posted by lordshiplanevets 06 January, 2012 08:24

Can you advertise a job vacancy on the forum?

messageRe: Ask Admin
Posted by Carrie 06 January, 2012 12:52

My firm have done so in the past and so have other people - don't think there is a problem with it - when we did it I put it in the business section as seemed most appropriate.

Posted by Administrator 07 January, 2012 08:38

Hi, yes you can (as long as it's specifically relevant to East Dulwich of course).

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by tallulah71 10 January, 2012 11:20

I've emailed admin a couple of times about help retieving private messages - when I open my inbox it says messages no longer available for viewing.....

Posted by Administrator 10 January, 2012 22:40

It's probably because the sender has deleted them...

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by Alan Medic 15 January, 2012 08:59

Dear Admin

I've noticed that in starting a new thread, when typing one letter in the 'Subject' field, I am presented with a list of what I can only presume are other thread titles which begin with that letter. Is this new and what does this achieve?

Just curious.

Posted by Administrator 15 January, 2012 09:11

It's not the forum, it's your browser auto-filling form fields e.g. [support.google.com]

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by Alan Medic 15 January, 2012 15:59

Strange, it never did it before.

Posted by Huguenot 15 January, 2012 16:17

If you're using IE, here's what one of the nerds said....

The Internet Explorer AutoComplete feature can be enabled and disabled by following the below steps.

Open Microsoft Internet Explorer.
Click Tools and then Internet Options.
In the Internet Options window click the Content tab.
Click the AutoComplete button.
Check or uncheck the options you wish have or not have AutoComplete. Below is a brief explanation of what each of the options are for.

Web page addresses - AutoComplete for the address typed in the address bar.
Forms - Enable a user to fill out fields that are commonly completed such as e-mail, address, phone number, etc.
User names and passwords on forms - Any forms that are requiring usernames. This can be helpful for users who are frequently needing to enter their username and password. However, can also be a security risk if that computer is used or accessible by other users.

Posted by Atticus 20 January, 2012 20:12

Hi Admin, pls find an earlier question I asked set in context below,

thanks
[www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk]

Posted by aceface 29 January, 2012 22:08

Hi, I managed to start a thread in the wrong section, how can this be moved? It's currently in the Family Room Classifieds and would benefit more from being in The Family Room Discussions....It's The One O'Clock Club - Peckham Rye NEDS SAVING...thanks!

Posted by Administrator 30 January, 2012 12:38

We'll move it for you aceface

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by Administrator 30 January, 2012 12:39

Hi Atticus, no it won't be moving to the business section.

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by DJKillaQueen 05 February, 2012 21:46

--------------------
Gooooaaaaalllllll!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2012:06:14:02:32:21 by DJKillaQueen.

Posted by ladyinred 22 February, 2012 14:36

Hi

I wanting to change my user name, as this is my surname which I do not fell comfortable in using. Can you please reset me or whatever one does.

Many thanks

M

Posted by Huguenot 28 February, 2012 21:35

Just register again with a different username, and then use that one winking smiley

Posted by ladyinred 10 March, 2012 13:50

Hi,

I have tried registering again with a different username etc, but it will NOT let me because the e-mail address is the same.

Unless I am doing it all wrong.................:-((

M

Posted by KalamityKel 21 March, 2012 19:05

register with a different email address and away you'll be :-)

Posted by buddug 26 March, 2012 23:50

Hi. I posted today in the main section that I lost 30 in cash near Goose Green, but bafflingly it was moved by you twice to the For Sale section. I have nothing for sale at present, I simply lost 30 in nice, crisp notes just out of the cashpoint. I really can't understand why you moved it. Surely if I put it in the main section it gets seen by East Dulwich forumites at large and has more chance of success. I am not selling 30. It could, I suppose, go in the Wanted section, but it seems a bit demanding, as in 'Wanted! My 30 cash back!, or else!' Please, please let it sit out its time in the main section to give it a chance, otherwise I will have no option but to go round my neighbours' bins at night to feed myself. Many thanks, yours etc.

Posted by Administrator 27 March, 2012 18:11

Hi

Sorry but your lost 30 is not an East Dulwich issue, and as we don't have a lost and found section (I never did get round to setting that up) so your post had to go somewhere else.

Good luck in finding your 30.

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by ibilly99 04 April, 2012 16:14

Why not have some public recognition to the donating members next to their username to encourage more folk to donate to the forum ?

Posted by Administrator 04 April, 2012 19:00

Nice idea, although I'm not sure of the benefits but anyway it is not possible with this software, I think.

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by lozzyloz 10 April, 2012 08:00

Can you add a 'Like' button to posts please.

Posted by Administrator 10 April, 2012 12:29

Assuming a Like button is a facebook button, I can't add one but I think individuals can embed a facebook like button against their posts.

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by El Pibe 10 April, 2012 13:19

I have to say I rather like the forum for it's lack of social networking links and mechanisms for interjecting opinion or preference.

T'Interweb is rather too awash with this sort of thing and the relative simplicity of the EDF is one of its strengths that seems to be standing the test of time as it fails to cast an envious eye at the showy widgets that aflict other sites.

It forces people to opine/interact through language alone rather than recourse to the lazy ubuiquity of the +1, ▲, like, share or whatever else.

There is always the thumbs up or POTW I guess.

Posted by Huguenot 10 April, 2012 16:54

I tend to agree, but wonder whether there is a time to ask whether such a strong community service couldn't step beyond the confines of a bulletin board whilst retaining its grace independent of facebook or google circles?

The supposed equality, uniformity and consistency of facebook makes it a bland and impersonal platform for a local focus - the very thing that gives the EDF its strength is the opportunity for local colour and personality to shine through (rather than safe corporate blue).

There remains a weakness underlying the main players from stronger community sites based on 'bubble' strategies - a pervasive global community based a matrix of interlocked and vigorously independent 'bubbles' - each with their own creative and linguistic flair, but interlocking technologies allowing them to interact.

I would never like to see a 'like' or a '+1' in the EDF in this context: it misses the point.

However, I think we need to compromise to allow people from their various local backyard/manors to share local content that through its creativity or insight deserves to rise over and above the local resource to share with a greater audience.

Likewise I think it's a missed opportunity for people or local shops with more to say to have a bigger 'shop window' to communicate their proposition - be it a blog or a retail arena.

But I'd like to see such a solution remain 'local' - and I think there's the funding to deliver it. Likewise there's an automated capability to roll the more popular content up into a 'best of' national scrap book.

It simply needs a little creative thinking and a bit less defensiveness.

I'm sure you've got the skill for that EP, and you'll soon be lost in the back of nowhere! winking smiley

Posted by Razors 10 April, 2012 23:23

Dear Admin, shoudn't the 'positive news' thread be in the Lounge? It doesn't seem very east dulwich specific. . .

Posted by Administrator 11 April, 2012 08:52

You are right Razors however I thought I'd bend the rules for a bit and let a shaft of light in there.

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by lozzyloz 11 April, 2012 09:26

Perhaps the phrasing of my 'Like' button question above was a little simplistic.

I agree with most of the points El Pibe makes. My thinking was along the lines of having a button (with a counter but not an identifier) which forumites could use to register their agreement with another posters opinion in a post without having to write a whole paragraph explaining why.

Sounds a bit lazy, but often we read a thread where there are discussions with quite polarised views and it would be interesting to see how much support there was for either side ie by 'Liking' a post. Could add another dimension.

I'm not suggesting that we turn the EDF into a more polished advertising vehicle. Currently the sponsorship and the ability to post links and recommend (or dis) local business seems to work just fine.

Thanks for listening.

Posted by El Pibe 11 April, 2012 10:25

I'm sure Huguenot is thick skinned enough to cope with all those -1000s, but how will New Nexus' world view cope when he's at +45000 and he realises he's just moving with the crowd after all ;)

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed