Was I really so offensive?!

Cam123

Earlier today I found out I had a bit of a problem in that some v expensive tickets I purchased as a gift would not be able to be used due to the recipients being poorly.

The tickets are for a VIP package to the Eng vs Scotland rugby at Murrayfield this Saturday, and as we paid ?1000 for the pair, I was a bit anxious to get a post up to try to get someone to take them off my hands - obviously time is of the essence.

I just logged on to check if anyone was interested, only to find that my post had been deleted due to my capitalising the title. I see now that in the rules and regs it's considered very wrong - "NO TITLES IN CAPITAL LETTERS please. It's rude and unnecessary, posts breaking this rule will, now how do I put this so that some of you understand, I know... THEY WILL GET DELETED WITHOUT WARNING."

Personally, I don't think it was rude or unnecessary, rather, a representation of how much I needed to sell the tickets. I think to take it down, given the subject of the post is a tad pedantic...

I know a rule's a rule, but to assume everyone using capitals is being rude is a bit far fetched, and does anyone actually consider it rude if it's a title?

Nevertheless, apologies everybody.

N.B. Tickets still available! -

Join the festival atmosphere in the Hospitality Village onsite at Murrayfield three hours prior to kick off where fantastic food and wine will be served over live music on the centre stage. After lunch as tension to the game builds, the Red Hot Chilli Pipers will set the room alight with their thunderous drums and pipes, setting the mood for the battle ahead! After the match, enjoy our post match entertainment, hosted by an ex-international and accompanied by more live music for an hour and a half after the final whistle has blown.

?Category 1 match tickets

?Champagne reception

?Inclusive bar pre and post match

?Three course lunch

?Post match supper

?Headline live entertainment throughout the day including The Chilli Pipers

?Official souvenir match programme

?Exclusive memorabilia prize draw

Quite frankly Cam123 you're not getting the hang of this forum at all, are you? After all you have now posted this in the ED news and gossip section - when really it should be in the About this forum, or at least the Lounge.

No one gets paid to monitor and tidy this forum so it is the responsibility of its users to play nicely by the rules and to not expect special treatment simply because you might consider your post to be of utmost importance.

I do not expect special treatment, I am more questioning if this kind of moderation is necessary.

What does it matter if the odd post is in the wrong section Bellenden Belle? Why be so unforgiving as to make an issue of it? Equally does it matter if there are capitals used if certain emotion is intended on being expressed by them?

However, IMO, sometimes on here people can get quite strong/patronising/downright rude responses to their posts, and such responses genuinely can offend. Perhaps we should all learn to moderate ourselves a little sometimes.

Cam123 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I do not expect special treatment, I am more

> questioning if this kind of moderation is

> necessary.

>

> What does it matter if the odd post is in the

> wrong section Bellenden Belle? Why be so

> unforgiving as to make an issue of it? Equally

> does it matter if there are capitals used if

> certain emotion is intended on being expressed by

> them?

>

> However, IMO, sometimes on here people can get

> quite strong/patronising/downright rude responses

> to their posts, and such responses genuinely can

> offend. Perhaps we should all learn to moderate

> ourselves a little sometimes.

Should that be the case you should report it instead of complaining about it in an open manner such as this.

The use of capital letters in many online arenas is considered as shouting and therefore rude. *shrugs*

SHOUTING is usually an indicator that the post/er is a bit bonkers.

I imagine moderators end up deleting out of habit.

The moment you start putting sub clauses about the quality or intention of the post then they'll be crucified for inconsistency or favouritism.

I imagine...., not having ever been one, ever, anywhere, you understand.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it's anything bad enough to report to the moderator, but one does see a lot of people who post perfectly pleasant, well intentioned things, who get responses which IMO are uncalled for. Regularly there'll be a voice that pipes up with a "is there any need for such negative comments?" or similar.

As for the shouting with capitals - I didn't even mean it as shouting (which I do recognise it as, generally speaking within text), rather a standard way of writing an advertising title. On Ebay and Gumtree it's standard and it's never occurred to me for a moment that it's shouting or punctuationally poor in that context.

Does everyone else see it as shouting when it's a title to an advertisment? Maybe it really is just me...!

KalamityKel - I think this room is designed for "complaining about it in an open manner such as this" isn't it?

El Pibe - "I imagine...., not having ever been one, ever, anywhere, you understand." Is an decent example of the kind of comment I am talking about; thank you.

What are you hoping to achieve Cam123?

What ebay and gumtree do is entirely up to them, and has no relevance to this forum.

If it's possible that you're treating this forum in the same light as those then maybe this isn't the right place for you?

This isn't a commercial property to deliver your private advertising ambitions, it's a neighborhood resource with a collection of written and unwritten rules of etiquette. The for sale and wanted sections are simply a facility to tidy up the place and allow local people to exchange a few low value items.

IF YOU WANT TO SHOUT ABOUT YOUR SHIT BECAUSE IT AND YOU ARE REALLY IMPORTANT then be prepared to get the same type of responses that you'd get from your neighbour if you suddenly turned your house into a full time bring and buy sale with associated BUY ONE GET ONE FREE posters and a megaphone.

Frankly I find your comments and attitude to be thoroughly unpleasant, why don't you come back when you're prepared to try and fit in with other people?

• 1 month later...

Cam123 I do not want to be associated with those rude types (two of them above) who are just plain cliquey and were the bully types you avoided at school, or the prefects who suddenly for the first time in their lives had a tiny little bit of power and let everyone know it. This forum can be useful, but sadly I too have been burned by really mean and nasty bitchy comments from a very few folk who made otherwise a pleasant thread turn rather nasty.

I won't blame you at all if you pull out. Mistakes are not allowed here though. Best of luck mate.

• 2 weeks later...
Well said PeckhamRose. I felt nervous about sticking my head above the parapet on this one in case Huguenot gave me a tongue lashing too - but with PeckhamRose being so brave I've decided to thrown in my pennethworth. I wonder what exactly Huguenot finds so "thoroughly unpleasant". As for all the dreadful negativity ... Kalamity Kel: CAM123 wasn't complaining he was stating and in fact he was asking to start off with. As for the Administrator - if we are really going to follow rules, then let's at least get the grammar right - it's either IT'S THE RULE or THEY ARE THE RULES. I'm just waiting for the pedant to spot the error in this!

crocodile36 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Oops, sorry Otta - next time I'll ask your

> permission before writing.

>

> And the point of your post was?

The point of my post was that I was unsure what the point was in dragging up an old thread just to have a bitch.

But yes, in future ask my permission, and we'll keep you from going wrong.

And crocodile36 is a newly registered name who has only posted bitches on this thread - yet they toss about other user names with much familiarity.

It is particularly sad to create fake personas just to have a go at people, I feel nothing but pity for what must be a pretty pathetic personality.