Forum Sponsors

www.absoluteaccessscaffolding.co.uk
xxxx
Glazer Delmar

www.fdrlaw.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
The Bishop, The EDT, The Great Exhibition, the Actress or another?
Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
messageRe: Suggestions for this forum
Posted by 26 April, 2014 14:41

I see another hilarious one's appeared.....Gone to the dogs etc

Posted by Peckhamgatecrasher 08 May, 2014 18:34

This may be treason but, do we really need the Drawing Room any more? The Lounge is ticking along nicely with high and low brow threads.

Posted by StraferJack 08 May, 2014 20:14

+1

A good idea. Reasons it didn't work varied and have been discussed before. But in 2014?

Posted by El Pibe 09 May, 2014 07:37

Yeah, it has rather died a complete death.

Posted by Otta 09 May, 2014 08:53

It always just felt a little bit elitist. I know that wasn't the intention, but most people just didn't feel it was for them I think.

Posted by El Pibe 09 May, 2014 09:06

It was set up during a particularly difficult time of trolls and @#$%&, so just meant to be a place where you could moderate the idiots in a discussion, but as PGC points out, things have calmed down in there, so you can talk proper like again.

Posted by Administrator 09 May, 2014 16:57

I would be happy to retire it gracefully, I'll ask and see what people think.

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by 10 May, 2014 16:26

Retire it

Posted by wavyline girl 05 June, 2014 20:47

Having had a few months to explore on the forum I have decided I really don't like it.
Why isn't it an easier to change details/unsubscribe?

Posted by Otta 05 June, 2014 21:12

Just don't use it.

Posted by littlemissindulgence 28 August, 2014 16:20

hi,
Thought about a JOBS section?

Thanks
Kate

Posted by Administrator 29 August, 2014 09:30

Hi

Yes we have but there's not enough call for it in the East Dulwich area, businesses tend to place job ads in the business section.

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by ortuke 15 October, 2014 16:07

Sorry if I'm repeating old posts/suggestions but is there a way to rate users in the for sale section as both sellers and buyers? I'm getting so fed up of no shows...

Posted by Administrator 16 October, 2014 15:11

Sorry that facility's not available but you could start a no show facility by adding "noshow" to your post e.g.
Admin was a noshow

So if people search on noshow [www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk] then they would appear.

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by uncleglen 20 October, 2014 14:25

Hi Admin , I have not been able to post in the general section since July. What can I do?

Posted by TFD Services 01 March, 2015 12:50

I advertised a 2 bedroom property on here in Feb 2014. I am in need of a copy of that advert and responses.

Please can you help

Many thanks

David.

Posted by Administrator 01 March, 2015 15:41

Sorry, it has been deleted

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by Pat Mynott 30 March, 2015 18:10

Please tell me how to post a recommendation for the service I have used. I'm not very good with computers and I can read others recommendations but can't see where to add my own add my own. Thank you.

Posted by Administrator 31 March, 2015 11:54

Try searching for the service and if they already have a thread (series of posts & messages about them) then add your recommendation to that thread. If not then start a new thread in the Business section.

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by goldilocks 26 April, 2015 22:35

Would it be possible to separate out ED Businesses, restaurants and trades into 2 separate sections? 1 for shops / restaurants etc physically located in East Dulwich and another for trades.

The section as it currently stands is quite busy - and gets swamped with building services offered etc, so its often hard to see what is actually new in East Dulwich and easy to miss info on new shops / restaurants / cafes opening. I think it would be helpful to separate out these things if possible.

Posted by Mark 06 May, 2015 12:42

Hi goldilocks

Thanks for the suggestion and I know what you mean about that section being busy and possibly divisible into two. I'll have a think about if it's possible and how much overhead it would be be to the admin team to look after.

Posted by nylon 17 June, 2015 21:36

Hi, we're in Herne Hill and use this forum all the time. I know there is a Herne Hill forum and a West Dulwich forum, but they are much much smaller. Have you ever considered changing the name of the forum to be more inclusive with neighbouring areas?

Posted by Peckhamgatecrasher 19 June, 2015 09:29

Noooooooooooo. That would make my username absurd.

Posted by peckham_ryu 02 July, 2015 16:24

goldilocks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Would it be possible to separate out ED
> Businesses, restaurants and trades into 2 separate
> sections? 1 for shops / restaurants etc
> physically located in East Dulwich and another for
> trades.
>
> The section as it currently stands is quite busy -
> and gets swamped with building services offered
> etc, so its often hard to see what is actually new
> in East Dulwich and easy to miss info on new shops
> / restaurants / cafes opening. I think it would
> be helpful to separate out these things if
> possible.

Similarly, there are so many separate recommendations for builders etc that if you're looking for a recommendation it's not that useful. Maybe one thread per trade? ("Experience with builders" "...Plumbers" "...Architects" "...Fitness Coaches" etc). As it stands, it's constant new threads asking for recommendations for the same thing that was asked for last week, and constant one off recommendations (or occasional warnings) about some or other business.

Posted by binary_star 05 July, 2015 21:25

Great idea...should branch out to surrounding areas. I've just moved to Hither Green which seems to have around 3-4 similar 'local' forums but none as popular or active as this. EDf seems to have an active user base from all over South London.

Posted by ianr 06 September, 2015 17:32

It's still the case -- has been since I first subscribed - that anyone typing B ) without a space before the bracket gets it interpreted by Phorum software as a shortcut for the smiley B). It's turned up recently at [www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk], [www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk], and [www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk].

Is it not worth removing that mapping? It's trivial to do, and will take effect the next time the system is set up. You just need to remove the relevant line for the "cool" icon reference in the list defining $MOD_SMILEY_DEFAULT_SMILEYS, which begins round about line 25 of file \mods\smileys\smileyslib.php. Or you could comment it out by placing a # at the start of the line. Anyone who actually wants to use that smiley -- I've not seen a non-accidental use of it here ever -- will be able to find an external link to one fairly easily.

Posted by Administrator 07 September, 2015 07:40

Thanks for pointing that out so I've changed to be ( ) around a B, and a simple change in the smiley replacement module, no coding required (B)

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by ianr 07 September, 2015 11:43

(A) Thanks
(B) But what if
(C) someone wants to use
(D) ( ) around a B?

Posted by Administrator 07 September, 2015 12:02

Changed to coolsmiley.

New forum software coming this way soon(ish) anyway so we'll have make further changes. Watch this space.

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by Peckhamgatecrasher 09 September, 2015 20:15

Please, please, please can we not have avatars or emotiwhatsits on the new form? Pretty please.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed