Don't forget mother's day.....

annaj

I'm sure there must be presents for the Snorklets come 25th December though..? Even if they are from Lidl.

Mother's day is pure bollocks, of course, but I'm afraid I don't dislike my Mum enough to not send her a card etc when all her friends will be getting one, so I tow the line.

Absolutely snorky. I'll consider myself told. Sorry.

To be honest, I'm using the forum as a virtual back of envelope. I forgot last year and it was just before my wedding, so my mum had been doing loads for me. She was fine about it, but i felt terrible. I thought if I started a thread it might just remember this year.

I think Mothering Sunday appears in the bible somewhere.

What is wrong with showing some appreciation - a bunch of flowers doesn't take much effort and is always nice to receive.

We've had this argument before see the Valentine thread.

PS - the reason we have chocolate eggs at Easter is because eggs were traditionally something given up for Lent. Easter marks the end of Lent, and hence the reason pancake day is the day before the beginning of Lent - use up all those eggs.

come down off that high horse. Why shouldnt you send your mum a card, or better still fancy chocs, flowers, a day at a spa, a nice lunch down the pub, go and clean her oven.............any of the above.

of course i know those holier than thou types are going to say... why be prompted by the cynical card industry to do so....so sure, go ahead and do all that stuff any old day...

but mother's day does have a genuine historical context....and mums work super hard and dont get paid for it so deserve all the good stuff they can get.

homemade cards are better anyway, as any fule kno. then no money given to dirty card manufacturing industry

Didn't realise that Asset, I thought it was meant to represent new life, ie. Jesus rising again and all that. Your reason sounds far more practical and likely though.

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with it. I hate valentines and father's day (soz dad), but I always though Mother's day was a traditional holiday that started off as family day, when servants living in big rich houses would be given a day off to visit their families.

Well - I know this sounds soppy but my mother always said that she would rather KNOW that she is loved 365 days a year than be SHOWN on one particular day. I understand what Asset and mightroar are getting at, but I do think some of the most generous gift-givers are guilty of ignoring their mothers for 364 days and are trying to make up for it.

And for the record I always buy a card (and one for my step-mother).

From Wikipedia.

Mothering Sunday, also called "Mothers' Day" in the United Kingdom and Ireland falls on the fourth Sunday of Lent (exactly three weeks before Easter Sunday). It is believed to have originated from the 16th century Christian practice of visiting one's mother church annually, which meant that most mothers would be reunited with their children on this day. Most historians believe that young apprentices and young women in servitude were released by their masters that weekend in order to visit their families.[1] As a result of secularization, it is now principally used to celebrate and give thanks for mothers, although it is still recognized in the historical sense by some churches, with attention paid to Mary the mother of Jesus as well as the traditional concept 'Mother Church'.

It is also an example commonly used by pro-life campaigners, with many sending their mothers flowers or chocolates to thank them for giving them life.

Besides which, mothers are quite perceptive enough to be able to tell the difference between a last-minute nasty card and expensive but dull present and something thoughtful designed for them - or better still some time spent with them.

I think Keef is right, and that apprentices and servants were given the day off to visit their families, and possibly bring a cake that they had baked with them (e.g. a Simnel cake) - this developed from people being expected to visit their 'mother' church or nearest large church at least once a year, rather than their local 'daughter' church.

It has got a lot more commercial in the past few years though. It used to be a card and a bunch of flowers, but now restaurants are booked up as soon as Valentines Day is over, the prices are hiked up, and there are even sections in newspapers with purchase suggestions.