Peregrine falcon spot (Lounged)

anntidote

Was very excited this morning to see a peregrine falcon perching on the ridge tiles of a house at the back of me (I live at the bottom of Henslowe backing on to Friern). I know they are nesting on the top of Tate Britain but don't know how far they range out from there. Perhaps it was one of last years youngster's and is looking for a home in the suburbs away from Ma and Pa - Dawsons Heights would be a good place for a new peregrine pad! Has anyone else seen it locally? They are quite distinctive - bigger and slimmer in shape to a pigeon, very hooked beak, brown back and head but whitish under chin and cheek patches with pale fawny white breast rippled with brown flecks.

Anntidote

Friend of mine witnessed a bird of prey ripping a blue tit to shreds in her back garden recently, poss not peregrine though as there are lots of sparrowhawks and kestrels around town too. Maybe the peregrines can keep the parakeet numbers in check.

Well good old peregrine, it's not as if feral pigeons are an endangered species exactly.

In the dead of winter if I put out food for the song birds there will be 20 pigeons around it in as many minutes in my garden. So go it peregrine(s) I say.

Maybe that was what bore away a horribly squealing starling from my garden the other week - it sat in the corner of the garden with its claws in it before flying off.

Are they quite large with sort of speckly breasts? My bird book only shows the peregrine falcon from the back, so it could have been a sparrowhawk ....

Although peregrines feed mainly on pigeons I dont suppose the odd urban falcon would say no to a starter of starling to whet the appetite.

I have seen the sparrowhawk in and around my garden after the blackbird and his wife, but a year ago there was the remains of a pigeon, it looked like a flattened red indian war bonnet. Only a ring of feathers remaining.

Until then, there had been a flock perching on the next door roof, after that they all disappeared to a safer haven.