Who's Got A New '08' Reg?

cazkid

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Would anyone on here really want to own-up to

> owning one?

Whilst I myself don't have a brand new car, I don't see anything wrong with having one if you can comfortably afford it. If people want to splash out on a motor that's straight out of the showroom, then let them get on with it. There's nothing to feel ashamed about. Also, the 'penis extension' is usually associated with guys in Ferraris or Lamborghinis..not quite the same if you buy a brand new Fiat or Renault!

Cassius Wrote:

> I don't have a car at all but if the person who

> owns the DB7 parked on Melbourne Grove would like

> to take me for a spin.....

What, the one with the illegal number plates ?

Its just a mondeo with a few badges on it - and a big slab of ego trip

I cannot see the sense in buying a new car - company car owners aside - what benefit is there in paying a premium to buy it new as opposed to getting one 3 months old with 1000 miles on the clock for 20% less ?

Its utterly insane & I see otherwise level headed people doing it all the time - it is worth several thousand / tens of thousand of quid ( in some cases ) just to get that brief shopping buzz ?

Some would say its barking wasteful selfish etc etc etc

snorky Wrote:

> I cannot see the sense in buying a new car -

> company car owners aside - what benefit is there

> in paying a premium to buy it new as opposed to

> getting one 3 months old with 1000 miles on the

> clock for 20% less ?

Ah but where would all the second hand cars come from if people didn?t buy new ones?

Personally I feel that a car should to be at least 25 years old and preferably have chrome on it. Does that make me more or less pretentious than someone who goes out and buys a brand new TT?

cars no longer rust after the first few months and car tool kits dont have cold chisels in them any longer.... cars use more energy in their construction that they can use ( and therefor "save" ) during their lifetime - often, the greener the cars, the more wasteful they can be, should you build in the construction energy expense

cars now have the capability to last a lifetime ( dont laugh )

- so reusing and repairing cars is probabaly better for the planet at this lates pre collapse stage anyway

But thats a very utilitarian viewpopint and we know that the majority of new car buying isnt becasue their old one is shagged or the head gasket has gone, but its a vanity decision - new car=visible bauble of success amongst peers etc

and its fashion as well - the so called Chelsea tractors are more frequesntly bought by the proles than the toffs these days ( see also Golf GTI )

Brendan Wrote:

>

> Personally I feel that a car should to be at least

> 25 years old and preferably have chrome on it.

> Does that make me more or less pretentious than

> someone who goes out and buys a brand new TT?

I don't know if it makes you more or less pretentious but it certainly means I share your taste.

I had a dream a few weeks ago that I bought an old farmhouse and in the garage was an old cortina (Mark 4 mind) that I fixed up. Mrs b doesn?t like them though for some inexplicable reason.

Reminds of an old South African proverb. All a man needs is 1 litre of brandy, 2 litres of Coke and a 3 litre Ford.

snorky Wrote:

> Ive been looking at Mk3 Cortinas on Ebay

> recently.. how sad is that

Not sad at all!!! I'm currently getting itch about this

It's a MK2. I have the MK1 so would complete the set... ;-) Have to get rid of my MG first though....

Despite it being possibly one of the worst motorcycles I've ever owned, for some reason I grew very attached to this little East German number..

If you misplaced (what I think you could loosely call) the key, you could start it by sticking a teaspoon into the ignition - which (logically) was located on the top of the headlamp.

file.php?20,file=712