Ridiculous Landlord

paragon

I have a friend who has a broken bed, she rents the room through a property agency. The bed is crap and the slats constantly fall through the bed. The property agent says as the bed was not part of the original inventory the landlord does not have to replace it.

Is this fair? Anyone know anything about tenancy law or what she should say to them?

Thanks.

Does a handshake count as a token gesture? Thanks David I will suggest this to her. Really annoyed though - she can't get a good nights sleep - having back issues and the landlords have four people in the house paying quite a lot of cash to live there and she won't even stump up a couple of hundreds squid to sort it out.

If the bed wasn't part of the original inventory how did it get there? (not meant as a rhetorical question sorry - meant as a "does it belong to anyone?" question

If it's not part of the inventory you can dump it and get a new one (throroghly recommended) - there would be no obligation on teh landlord

If the flat is let as "furnished" howver, I believe a bed is part of the term even if it;s not listed on the inventory (could be wrong, sorry)

At the end of the day she will have to play according to the rules. She is dealing with a stingy landlord who argues that because the bed was not part of the inventory will not buy a new one. What she needs to do is to write an email (for proof) and get a reply back saying that the bed is unsuitable and will get rid of it. The bed officially doesn't exist (as it doesn't belong to anyone) so she can do whatever she likes with it. I know it will be a hassle for a tenant to buy a bed and then have to think about what will do with it when she moves out (which I think with a landlord like this will be soon) but it is the only solution I can think of. There are several free beds in this Forum

She signed an inventory directly with the landlord originally. But then the lease migrated to being via a property management company. There was no new contract issued at that point. Not sure if that makes a difference at all.

Thanks for your help guys.

If she signed a lease with the landlord, and the bed was on it, then it's the landlord's responsibility, I'm sure of it. That said, Landlords being landlords, s/he will probably say it's your mate who has broken it.

If the problem is simply slats falling through (I have had similar experiences of ending up crumpled through the middle of a bed in Ibiza) then either gluing them or screwing them into place might be the simple answer. For heavens sake get written permission from the landlord first though.