Street Art

woodrot

Now then.

a serious topic, no piss takery.

Why has street art become to popular in da hood of late ?

an off the cuff example - back in the mid 2000s, a mooted grafitti fest in /on GG was met with hostility, leading to shops displaying anti graf fest hyperbole, now we have a situation whereby many retail outlets are gagging to have their walls muraled up

The Spurling road issue is another example of what wasnt acceptable but would be now

Opinions and vox pops on this sought please.

I loathe and do not support indiscriminate, clannish, sometimes gang-linked tagging but if an artist has permission to paint and it's suitable for all eyes, then I'm for it.

I would ask, though, that the paintings get changed every few years or so and that if they are vandalised the artists are duty bound to repair them. IngridB - how does this fit in with the rules and regs for this current round of public art in and around SE22?

Isn't 'street art' the same mis nomer as 'street food'?. We have murals, pavement chalk drawings, etc. Why not just use the specific term rather than urbanise it to make boring middle classes feel 'in touch' when the nearest they get to 'street' is stealing a parking space by having a dropped kerb.

LondonMix Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Public art including sculpture has always been a

> part of every major city for centuries. This is

> no different except that you personally don't like

> it.

You've not noticed the difference?

John K

I'd rather imaginative street art than the bland screaming of advertising billboards that accost you on every street corner/bus/taxi/phone box...basically any flat service in the public domain anywhere. I'm not sure I get the objections to be honest. Mind the generation gap?

today's street art IS tomorrow's screaming billboard or, as far as ED walls go, plus ?a change, plus c'est la m?me chose.

(my fave is the one that looks like an old advert for a Dental Surgery on the side of the house at the end of Heber Rd - so evocative)

steveo Wrote:

> Don't get me wrong, I think street art can be

> nice. And I think IngridB did a helluva job.

>

> But the big bee at the Plough is a stinker.

>

> Can we have this one instead?

No the big bee is nice

So shut y'mowff steveo

• 4 weeks later...

Ive just spotted this thread. Good to have debate about the art. Every wall has its own story, and there are chances to find out more about them and see the originals in Dulwich Picture Gallery which inspired them. Im running some walks, here is the blurb:

Sunday 14 & 28 July

2 ? 5 pm

Fifteen of the world?s leading street artists were invited to Dulwich Picture Gallery to study the Baroque paintings and reinterpret their choice on walls around Dulwich. The walk includes most of these walls and pavements, and ends at Dulwich Picture Gallery where the paintings that inspired the artists will be explained.

Meet at Vale End, SE22 opposite East Dulwich Station. Finish at Dulwich Picture Gallery. Refreshment stop in Court Lane.

?12 includes entry to Dulwich Picture Gallery

Book in advance. Cash on arrival.

For more info and to book email [email protected]

• 2 weeks later...

steveo Wrote:

> Don't get me wrong, I think street art can be

> nice. And I think IngridB did a helluva job.

>

> But the big bee at the Plough is a stinker.

>

> Can we have this one instead?

Shows it's all subjective doesn't it? I really like the bee and I think the one you've linked is awful. Not a big fan of the numerous stick men and I really don't like the 'new age' type stuff down by the Herne Tavern, but as they're not directly opposite my livingroom window or on the side of my house I'm not really bothered.

And now I must close this thread. I intended it to be a discussion of urban art, embracing opinions, formenting dissent - you get it bludz. IngridB - you have probabaly inadvertandly killed this discussion, like a shank to its heart. This is a metaphor for the whole movement bro'

Nigello Wrote:

> I loathe and do not support indiscriminate,

> clannish, sometimes gang-linked tagging but if an

> artist has permission to paint and it's suitable

> for all eyes, then I'm for it.

>

> I would ask, though, that the paintings get

> changed every few years or so and that if they are

> vandalised the artists are duty bound to repair

> them. IngridB - how does this fit in with the

> rules and regs for this current round of public

> art in and around SE22?

I didnt answer this, sorry. If there is any tagging etc on the artworks, either the artist themselves, if they are around, or another person skilled with a spray can, will mend it.

So far one piece has been painted out completely by the wall owner because she didnt like it. (a panel on the side of Mrs Robinson) That's fine, its her wall.