Forum Sponsors

Daisylets Residential Property Management

Glazer Delmar

All Round Renovation

Advertise here


The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 250
messageFootball Focus
Posted by Otta 06 August, 2013 14:11

the old thread seems to be knackered (bloody Carnell), so a new thread for the new season.



Edit to remove the NEW from thread title



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2013:08:27:11:50:46 by Otta.

messageRe: Football Focus (New)
Posted by Jah Lush 06 August, 2013 14:44

Seven ways to cheer up Arsenal fans.


[uk.eurosport.yahoo.com]

messageRe: Football Focus (New)
Posted by red devil 06 August, 2013 15:13

Otta Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the old thread seems to be knackered (bloody
> Carnell), so a new thread for the new season.

Typical Leeds, don't hear a squeak from them for years and years, then they suddenly turn up and trash the place...

messageRe: Football Focus (New)
Posted by Parkdrive 06 August, 2013 15:15

Jah Lush Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Seven ways to cheer up Arsenal fans.
>
>
> [uk.eurosport.yahoo.com]
> ven-ways-cheer-arsenal-fans-205801964.html

Altenatively how to piss off Bale FC fans, just one word ....BALE

messageRe: Football Focus (New)
Posted by david_carnell 06 August, 2013 16:03

red devil Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Otta Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > the old thread seems to be knackered (bloody
> > Carnell), so a new thread for the new season.
>
> Typical Leeds, don't hear a squeak from them for
> years and years, then they suddenly turn up and
> trash the place...

That made me chuckle. I think breaking that thread is about as violent as I've ever been!

You won't hear much from me for another few years I expect.

messageRe: Football Focus (New)
Posted by Jah Lush 06 August, 2013 16:05

Parkdrive Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jah Lush Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Seven ways to cheer up Arsenal fans.
> >
> >
> >
> [uk.eurosport.yahoo.com]
>
> > ven-ways-cheer-arsenal-fans-205801964.html
>
> Altenatively how to piss off Bale FC fans, just
> one word ....BALE

You must be more stupid than I thought you were if you think that pisses us off.

messageRe: Football Focus (New)
Posted by Mick Mac 06 August, 2013 16:10

That's a great line. I must use that one. And I know just the person.

messageRe: Football Focus (New)
Posted by red devil 06 August, 2013 21:30

Oooh, I wonder who that could be...

messageRe: Football Focus (New)
Posted by Otta 07 August, 2013 09:50

Sooo, at least Saurez has at least had the balls to say he wants away from Liverpool. I wonder whether Madrid might come in if they don't get Bale... Just can't see him going to Arsenal, and after that stupid bid they put in, I hope they don't get him. (I know a lot of the fans don't want him, but the club clearly seem to)

messageRe: Football Focus (New)
Posted by red devil 07 August, 2013 09:56

After a summer of public statements saying he wanted to leave Liverpool, get away from the British press etc, I was surprised that Liverpool supporters gave Suarez a standing ovation at Stevie G's testimonial at the weekend. What does he have to do/say for their fans to take off the blinkers? Obviously his racism was ok with them, and so was the odd bit of cannibalism. Maybe not acknowledging the ovation and then subsequently not turning up for Gerrard's testimonial dinner will be the tipping point? Or how about his threat of legal action, something he has previous for whilst he was at Gronnigen and trying to engineer a move to Ajax...sounds familiar? Or maybe it's today's latest public ''let me leave'' plea. Prey tell, Liverpool fans.
I obviously realise Utd have a similar situation with the angry and confused pieman. However, if he plays in the Charity Shield match this weekend I don't think he'll get anything remotely like a standing ovation, infact more likely the opposite. Watch and learn Liverpool fans...

messageRe: Football Focus (New)
Posted by ratty 07 August, 2013 10:49

We own our own club, but are in Division 4, and we have lost our first games 1-4 and 1-0.

I think I'll stay out of it!

messageRe: Football Focus (New)
Posted by red devil 07 August, 2013 11:04

ratty, how does the heirarchy work in a supporter's owned club? How did you go about appointing the Board, manager etc. Did you vote amongst yourselves as to who would be elected to the Board?...

messageRe: Football Focus (New)
Posted by Parkdrive 07 August, 2013 12:47

Jah Lush Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Parkdrive Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Jah Lush Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Seven ways to cheer up Arsenal fans.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> [uk.eurosport.yahoo.com]
>
> >
> > > ven-ways-cheer-arsenal-fans-205801964.html
> >
> > Altenatively how to piss off Bale FC fans, just
> > one word ....BALE
>
> You must be more stupid than I thought you were if
> you think that pisses us off.


That coming from a BALE FC fan is hilarious. Obviously touched a nerve. Never mind, Thursday night football beckons.

messageRe: Football Focus (New)
Posted by Parkdrive 07 August, 2013 12:50

I obviously realise Utd have a similar situation with the angry and confused pieman. However, if he plays in the Charity Shield match this weekend I don't think he'll get anything remotely like a standing ovation, infact more likely the opposite. Watch and learn Liverpool fans

Very hypocritical, I seem to recall that the last time he tried to get away and was paid to stay, you all backed him to the hilt, no double standards here then. Watch and learn indeed.

messageRe: Football Focus (New)
Posted by Otta 07 August, 2013 13:01

I'm no Rooney fan, but I sort of have more sympathy with his situation. He's done it all with United, and wants to do something else. I get that. I also get that Suarez wants to play at the very highest level of club football, it's just the way he's conducted himself which stinks, plus he signed a new deal a year ago.

messageRe: Football Focus (New)
Posted by Parkdrive 07 August, 2013 13:03

Otta Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm no Rooney fan, but I sort of have more
> sympathy with his situation. He's done it all with
> United, and wants to do something else. I get
> that. I also get that Suarez wants to play at the
> very highest level of club football, it's just the
> way he's conducted himself which stinks, plus he
> signed a new deal a year ago.


Signing a new deal simply ups the price of a player when he wants to leave. Rooneys conduct is not far behind Suarez, and a repeat of what he did a few years back in case United fans have forgotten.

messageRe: Football Focus (New)
Posted by ratty 07 August, 2013 13:49

red devil Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ratty, how does the heirarchy work in a
> supporter's owned club? How did you go about
> appointing the Board, manager etc. Did you vote
> amongst yourselves as to who would be elected to
> the Board?...


The Trust is the majority shareholder of the club and raised most of the money to buy the club. The rest of the money has come from high net worth individuals. Some of these are board members along with the chair (elected) of the trust.

One high networth individual, Ian Mcinees is chair and the board are currently appointing finance director, chief exec etc.

messageRe: Football Focus (New)
Posted by Jah Lush 07 August, 2013 16:04

Parkdrive Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jah Lush Wrote:

> >
> > You must be more stupid than I thought you were
> if
> > you think that pisses us off.
>
>
> That coming from a BALE FC fan is hilarious.
> Obviously touched a nerve. Never mind, Thursday
> night football beckons.


Nope. No nerves touched. I suppose we could have called the Wanderers RVP FC a couple of seasons ago but our sense of humour isn't as bad as yours obviously is.
I'm reasonably happy with Thursday night football thanks. Some so called bigger clubs haven't qualified for a European competition but we have. I'll be even happier if we win it.

messageRe: Football Focus (New)
Posted by red devil 07 August, 2013 16:10

Parkdrive Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I obviously realise Utd have a similar situation
> with the angry and confused pieman. However, if he
> plays in the Charity Shield match this weekend I
> don't think he'll get anything remotely like a
> standing ovation, infact more likely the opposite.
> Watch and learn Liverpool fans
>
> Very hypocritical, I seem to recall that the last
> time he tried to get away and was paid to stay,
> you all backed him to the hilt, no double
> standards here then. Watch and learn indeed.

You've spectacularly missed the point I was making, that being what does Suraez have to do for Liverpool fans to get the hump.
There's no hypocracy concerning the current Rooney situation, totally different set of circumstances. Utd fans may have forgiven him but we didn't forget...

messageRe: Football Focus (New)
Posted by red devil 07 August, 2013 16:20

Otta Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm no Rooney fan, but I sort of have more
> sympathy with his situation. He's done it all with
> United, and wants to do something else. I get
> that. I also get that Suarez wants to play at the
> very highest level of club football, it's just the
> way he's conducted himself which stinks, plus he
> signed a new deal a year ago.

I've no problem with Rooney wanting to leave for the reasons you cite. We had no problems with Ronaldo doing the same, infact he was given the best reception I've ever heard at OT when he returned with Madrid last season. The problem most Utd fans have with Rooney is the way he i.e. his advisors, go about it...


ETA: grammar



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2013:08:07:16:22:27 by red devil.

messageRe: Football Focus (New)
Posted by Mick Mac 07 August, 2013 16:25

Otta Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

I also get that Suarez wants to play at the
> very highest level of club football, it's just the
> way he's conducted himself which stinks, plus he
> signed a new deal a year ago.

Apparently thats the whole problem (thats if you can believe anything Suarez says!) in that he says that within that contract last year, it allows him to leave after a year to a champions league club if liverpool failed to get into it, which they did fail to do.

A cheat will always look out for himself and likely does not give a toss about anyone else. Exciting footballer though, which makes it even more of a shame.

Steve Nicol on talksport last night said that the manager had let Suaraz down by not (so far) honouring the contract terms! I wonder why Nicol might want to undermine the current manager?



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2013:08:07:16:28:12 by Mick Mac.

messageRe: Football Focus (New)
Posted by red devil 07 August, 2013 16:28

ratty Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> red devil Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > ratty, how does the heirarchy work in a
> > supporter's owned club? How did you go about
> > appointing the Board, manager etc. Did you vote
> > amongst yourselves as to who would be elected
> to
> > the Board?...
>
>
> The Trust is the majority shareholder of the club
> and raised most of the money to buy the club. The
> rest of the money has come from high net worth
> individuals. Some of these are board members along
> with the chair (elected) of the trust.
>
> One high networth individual, Ian Mcinees is chair
> and the board are currently appointing finance
> director, chief exec etc.

Understood. What do fans have to do to join the Trust? Do they have to cough up i.e. minimum stake?...

messageRe: Football Focus (New)
Posted by red devil 07 August, 2013 16:31

Mick Mac Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Otta Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> I also get that Suarez wants to play at the
> > very highest level of club football, it's just
> the
> > way he's conducted himself which stinks, plus
> he
> > signed a new deal a year ago.
>
> Apparently thats the whole problem (thats if you
> can believe anything Suarez says!) in that he says
> that within that contract last year, it allows him
> to leave after a year to a champions league club
> if liverpool failed to get into it, which they did
> fail to do.
>
> A cheat will always look out for himself and
> likely does not give a toss about anyone else.
> Exciting footballer though, which makes it even
> more of a shame.
>
> Steve Nicol on talksport last night said that the
> manager had let Suaraz down by not (so far)
> honouring the contract terms! I wonder why Nicol
> might want to undermine the current manager?

I can't see Utd getting rid of Rooney without getting in a high quality replacement. I had a think earlier and the only names I could think of who would fit the bill and are 'available' are Lewandowski, who will be going to Munich next year, and..........Suarez!!!!!! That would certainly put the cat amongst the pigeons...



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2013:08:07:16:35:25 by red devil.

messageRe: Football Focus (New)
Posted by Alan Medic 07 August, 2013 17:20

So RD do you not think there's a chance of Bale going to Madrid in effect to replace Ronaldo who returns to United? United then sell Rooney and all is well!

messageRe: Football Focus (New)
Posted by red devil 07 August, 2013 17:39

In my dreams, yes Meds. You missed out the bit where I personally drive Rooney to the airport...

messageRe: Football Focus (New)
Posted by Alan Medic 07 August, 2013 18:01

Seems logical to me. CR isn't signing a new contract and surely that can't just be about money. He must have plenty.Bale would placate the Madrid fans to an extent and besides can Madrid really afford him without selling CR? Where else would CR go but back to OT.He would cost a bit but selling Rooney would help offset that. Make sure Rooney gets on an international flight though.

messageRe: Football Focus (New)
Posted by Otta 07 August, 2013 18:09

Can't see Rooney going abroad at all, but the Ronaldo thing COULD be a possibility if Bale goes.

Saurez to United. Could you imagine. Him and Evra best mates hugging after each goal. I almost want it to happen just for the panto of it all.

messageRe: Football Focus (New)
Posted by red devil 07 August, 2013 18:41

Alan Medic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Seems logical to me. CR isn't signing a new
> contract and surely that can't just be about
> money. He must have plenty.Bale would placate the
> Madrid fans to an extent and besides can Madrid
> really afford him without selling CR? Where else
> would CR go but back to OT.He would cost a bit but
> selling Rooney would help offset that. Make sure
> Rooney gets on an international flight though.

Money does come into it with CR, not so much the amount, more the heirarchy, i.e he has to be top earner. Oh, and CR will have to take the free-kicks, take note Gareth.
The top tier of footballers have egos bigger than their wallets. The Rooney situation is all about him now being second in line to RVP. Careful what you wish for eh Wayne...

messageRe: Football Focus (New)
Posted by ratty 07 August, 2013 19:08

red devil Wrote:

There are two specific ways to join the trust. You can become a member which gives you the right to vote for a nominal annual fee, a fiver I think. However, if you contributed to the share issue, which was a £1k buy in then you automatically become a member.

There was some confusion around what happened to syndicate share members of which there were many and I am not sure what the outcome of this was. There was also over £30k in shares raised by random "what odour can afford donations" organised by a couple of fans.

Raised over £2.5m in just over 4 months. Pretty good work for one of England's poorest cities. They're all nutcases down there though and put the football club before their own food!

-------------------------------------------------------
> ratty Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > red devil Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > ratty, how does the heirarchy work in a
> > > supporter's owned club? How did you go about
> > > appointing the Board, manager etc. Did you
> vote
> > > amongst yourselves as to who would be elected
> > to
> > > the Board?...
> >
> >
> > The Trust is the majority shareholder of the
> club
> > and raised most of the money to buy the club.
> The
> > rest of the money has come from high net worth
> > individuals. Some of these are board members
> along
> > with the chair (elected) of the trust.
> >
> > One high networth individual, Ian Mcinees is
> chair
> > and the board are currently appointing finance
> > director, chief exec etc.
>
> Understood. What do fans have to do to join the
> Trust? Do they have to cough up i.e. minimum
> stake?...

messageRe: Football Focus (New)
Posted by Mick Mac 08 August, 2013 00:27

Mick Mac Wrote:
-----------------------------------------------------.
>
> Apparently thats the whole problem (thats if you
> can believe anything Suarez says!) in that he saysr
> that within that contract last year, it allows him
> to leave after a year to a champions league club
> if liverpool failed to get into it, which they did
> fail to do.
>
> A cheat will always look out for himself and
> likely does not give a toss about anyone else.
> Exciting footballer though, which makes it even
> more of a shame.
>
> Steve Nicol on talksport last night said that the
> manager had let Suaraz down by not (so far)
> honouring the contract terms! I wonder why Nicol
> might want to undermine the current manager?

Rogers comes out fighting. Says there were absolutely no guarantees given to Suarez last year . Says Suarez has tried to tarnish the reputation of the club and he will take decisive action.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 250

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed