The end of the Mancheter United Glory Days

Mick Mac

Given that United weren't great last season for the most part and still walked the league, I wonder what a change of manager will bring? I reckon the Fergie effect is the only explanation for an ordinary team winning it.

I still don't see them being out of it this year as the Arse will probably rue a too small squad, Chelsea are hit and miss and will probably sack their manager while Man City get homesickness on their travels. Spurs still have time to gel and Liverpool/Everton could last the course.

May be close though best football being played by the Arse and City at the moment.

That fan knows fuck all about football and the answer is no. I think you're writing them off far too soon. They were very good at WHL on Sunday and hammered Bayer Leverkusen away five-nil four days previous to that.

Anyway, why isn't this on the football focus thread?

Alan Medic Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm surprised you were impressed with United

> Mr.Lush. For the most part they lacked a cutting

> edge.Some of their passing was good though. I

> wasn't much impressed by Spurs either.

Well, you're not far wrong. Spurs were much better than the week before after their humiliation at the hands of Man City but the difference was Wayne Rooney who was the best player on the pitch by a country mile. Plenty of room for improvement in both sides.

Its was the end as soon as they appointed a manager who had never won anything.

Surely a PLC should have had a proper recruitment policy instead of.......lets just ask Alex what he thinks.

Edited to say - RD, this thread was not intended for you in particular, just intended to be a general conversation piece, I do think its a real possibility though that MU may struggle to match recent glories.

to answer it seriosuly, there's no way they'llhave the virtual monopoly on the premiership any more, but they'll still be in with a shout rather than in the cold.

They've simply too much power and wealth in a sport geared towards rich clubs, in an environment where short of catastrophe smaller clubs are prevented from entry, whilst bigger clubs are stuck in a positive reinforcing loop.

It is fun to watch though. Welcome back to the real world chaps!!

In fact I can't help but think that, like Napoleon's captains, Fergie was lucky.

Under him they played badly and nicked games they should have lost.

Under Moyes they could be playing better but the other team are nicking those one point or two points, I guess he's unlucky.

The end of what Mick? We went 4 seasons without winning the league under Fergie (the time when Chelski 'inherited' all those roubles). Everyone then thought they might as well give up as Chelski were going to totally dominate. They didn't. It wasn't the 'end' then and it isn't now...

They won't go in to free fall like Liverpool in terms of the title, because the game is different now and money talks. They are one of the richest clubs in the world, they'll do okay.

Moyes was on a hiding to nothing from the start. I imagine Ferguson and Co massaged his ego and told him he was the man to take over, but the fact is, the man to follow SAF was always going to be for a shitty time.

As with post Busby it's possible for a club to fall from grace even a rich club. Nothing is permanent. Personally I like Man United more than many but I think they have made a very ill considered appointment in Moyes. Once you lose the momentum it can be hard to get it back. Fergie could do it but he was special.

Such a disinteteresting thread I don't even know why I am bothered to say anything. Before Fergie this was the norm for donkeys years (underperforming). Still the biggest sporting brand in the world, and this comes from someone who has no like of Manure and detests both those who are not remotely from Manchester nor have any connection with the team. After their first home defeat since 1979 by a certain team I will not reveal we had hours on 606 with whinger after whinger phoning in. Scottish accent. Whinge whinge. London accent, whinge whinge. Plymouth accent, whinge whinge. Mancunian accent - well we need to give Moyes a few years, I recall a very interesting team under Ron Fatkinson, who didn't win anything, but it was cheap and entertaining, let's just give it time. Norfolk accent, whinge whinge.

Screw you Jonny come lateleys/London/Scottish/Devon reds.

I did have my own private gloat of 'going down going down going down' though.

More important what great results for the Lions and for the Glaziers (that is Crystal Palace not those American asses)

Ah, got me there, didn't see that one coming JL.

To correct myself. What a boring subject, not what a boring thread. As my heart bleeds for all you cockerney reds I couldn't resist posting.

But as someone who has watched the game for forty years the Mancs will come good again, as I hate to say will Leeds one day.

Actually makes football far more interesting.