Creating a new look. Advice needed!

stevesmith

The past week has been one of the coldest we have had in years, yet I can't seem to avoid looking toward the future. Before we know it, spring will have arrived, and it will be that time of year where we really mean ?out with the old.? I have already begun to pack most of my things into plastic totes, and I have come to the conclusion that I want to replace most of my d?cor.

I am ready to begin making changes in my life, and that means replacing the old with the new. I am looking for some advice on useful ways of creating a better look throughout my house. I am going to be replacing my table cloths, bedding, pillows, towels, curtains, rugs, and throws. My goal is to create a whole new look and feel to my home. What's the best way to go about this?

I started doing some research online and found a great post on Wikipedia. It discusses duvets and can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duvet if you want to read it. I have never used one of these before and I really feel like I would love one. They seem to make the bed not only more comfortable, but also easier to keep warmer while sleeping. I continued my search for ideas and information. I came across http://www.thetowelshop.co.uk/ and found more informative articles on duvets. Anyway, I intend to make several changes around the house.

I would love to see pictures of some creative solutions that some of you have used. I am looking for a more earthy type of feel, but I am interested in any tips or styles you guys have used. I intend on making this year one in which I accomplish most of my goals, and I would like to create a feeling of being grounded, centered, and focused.

stevesmith Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

I can't seem to avoid looking

> toward the future.

It's a bugger isn't it? I tried looking toward the past and got such a crick in the neck.

My tip? - Hot water bottles are on the way back and those grain/rice-filled microwaveable cloth-sausage-things are great for a stiff neck.

I've downloaded a really good app called houzz (there is also a website) which allows you to scroll through throusands of interior design photos. You can create picture books (much like in Pinterest) to save pictures you like, and make a personal note on them to refer back to later. Some of the items are even tagged in posts so if you like the item you can find out where to buy it and at what price.

Personally, I find the whole 'concept' of trying to make stuff 'go together' a pointless exercise.

If you like stuff, just get it, you'll build-up a 'look' which is distinctly yours and eminently natural.

Why try and look like everyone else's (or a magazine) lounge ?

Having said that, you're left open for comments such as 'stark', 'cluttered' and ''different'' but you'll soon harden to it.

So are the responses from stevesmith generated by a bot? If so, it looks as though it had a reasonable initial stab at passing the Turing test. Beware I say, the lesson from sci-fi, is that when these artificial intelligences achieve self-actualisation, they become immensely powerful and dangerous.

grabot Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So are the responses from stevesmith generated by a bot?

I dunno... I thought so at first (a few posts on random threads before the advertising starts) but the posts seem a little too coherent.