Buying above a shop?

natalieh101

Hi, My last property was above a shop in Notting Hill It was on a busy road but I loved it-The shop closed at 5.30pm and on Sunday's so I could dance up and down my living room and not worry about noise..something I was unable to do in my previous place a conversion flat in a house. Like you I found it was my only option in that postcode (W10) to get what I wanted, and I was pleasantly surprised at how much higher the ceilings were and generally how much more space I got buying above a shop.

I wouldn't buy above a cafe but my flat was next door to a food and wine shop that was open until 11pm and I had no problems, it was also great in terms of having items delivered as the shops were always happy to take them in, if anything I felt very safe as I knew the shops had CCTV and fire alarms which lots of domestic properties don't have.

I honestly can't remember any negatives to be honest, and I made money on the property when I sold it after 3years even though the market was on a down turn at the time. Though I would say location is key.

hope this helps...good luck!

Downside is that quite a lot of lenders won't lend on a flat above commercial premises which will not only limit your choice of mortgage but also potentially cause issues when you come to sell. Upside is you get a lot more flat for your money!

natalieh101 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Does anyone have any advice or experience of

> buying over commercial premises? We're aware of

> the pitfalls in terms of change of use and any

> downturn in the market - but, prices have gone so

> crazy, it seems like our only option!Thanks in

> adance

Be very very careful, could have health impacts. A friend moved above a bakers and put a lot of weight on in a short amount of time!