Barcelona where to stay and where to go

malumbu

Before I resort to the Lonley Planet and Trip Advisor it would be nice to hear your recommendations of where to stay (mid range, modest guest house type of place, convenient), and the highlights. Well some are quite obvious of course.

It would be nice for some serious suggestions please.

There are some good mid range and budget (but clean and well run) places in and around the Barri Gottic (the old quarter) behind the Cathedral.

Apart from the obvious attractions - if you like a bit of Catalan art it's worth taking a trip up the hill to Montju?c (the cable car from the port area at the bottom of the Ramblas goes up to Montju?c and is an interesting ride) to visit the Fundacio Joan Mir? - great examples of his work including designs for costumes and models of sets for operas etc.

Also worth a walk around the old Olympic sites in the same area.

The monastery on top of the mountain at Montserrat is worth a day trip. It's about an hour by train then cable car from the city - the views are spectacular.

Football at the Nou Camp is a great experience. You can buy tickets on the FC Barcelona website - unless they're playing Real Madrid there's usually plenty available.

We stayed at Villa Emilia and loved it (and the lovely roof terrace)- it was a lovely boutique place not too far from the university district and quite close to a lovely tapas place cuidad condal. I'd also reccomend parc guell in the north for amazing views over the city. The sagrada famillia blew me away - and you can book tickets in advance through some of the ATMs so don't have to q on the day!

How long are you going for? You might want to consider a couple of nights in Barcelona and then another few out on the beach to chill out. There are quite a few nice little beach resorts within 20-30 minutes of the city - and a few livelier ones like Sitges.

I second the idea of the Barri Gottic - there are quite a few little apartments for rent there that can work out cheaper than a hotel. There are lots of quirky little shops down there too which can be fun to explore.

In the summer, they often do opera recitals on the roof of the Casa Mila with a glass of wine which is worth looking out for.

There was a restaurant called Taxidermista in the Plaza Reial which did the most amazing chocolate espresso mousse served in little cups. However, someone told me that they'd closed down recently.

There is a crazy Catalan 'sport' called castellers - building human towers - which is fantastic to watch, and also always a great atmosphere. They only do it on particular dates during the year in different venues in the region, but one of the venues is the central square in the Gracia district, which is close to the centre of Barcelona (and also generally a nice place to hang out, eat, drink). It's a pretty unique thing and worth checking out whether it's on while you're there.

I would also recommend going to eat seafood in Barceloneta - the places on the seafront look touristy but they are generally pretty good. If you have kids you might want to go to the Tibidabo amusement park. It's not up to modern theme park standards by any means, but it's fun and the location and views of the city are spectacular, and you can sometimes get cheap entry tickets online.

We've got our city centre accommodation sorted/booked at the Jazz Hotel (recommended by a friend, and looks good), and am now trying to find somewhere to go onto for a few nights of beach holiday.

Anyone have any recommendations for family friendly (with kids 12 and 14) accommodation that might fit the bill, within reasonable reach of the city centre, without the need to hire a car?