Neighbours trees general rules?

fergju

Hi

I am just wondering if anyone knows what the general rules are about your rights to request neighbours trees are cut back.

The specific questions is in reference to height - after last week storms we are concerned about a very tall tree and not sure if we can ask for the height to be reduced to a more reasonable and less precarious height. Def don't want them to take it out but just made a bit shorter.

Thanks

You don't have any rights afaik about the height. You can cut down anything overhanging your property, and the law says you have to offer the wood back to them. Obviously, they might be concerned about the tree too, so speak to them if you haven't already and they may agree to go 50:50 on having it looked at and made safe®.

We need to speak to our neighbours about a tree and I've been putting it off for ages as I know their next door neighbours spoke to them about the same tree and they were told very aggressively to F off - sadly not everyone is as friendly or helpful as evildrwallace.

Unfortunately this is a difficult one as the council won't get involved at all. We have a very large tree leaning dangerously in to our garden (we rent) and landlords have had no joy at all getting the owners to do anything about it.

Fortunately we're moving out tomorrow, but I swear it's a matter of time until it comes down.

Hopefully you have reasonable neighbours...

fergju Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ... not sure if we can ask for the

> height to be reduced to a more reasonable and less

> precarious height. Def don't want them to take it

> out but just made a bit shorter.

>

> Thanks

The trouble with reducing the height is that it won't stay that way - they grow again (surprisingly quickly if they've been reduced in height)- and if it isn't pruned properly it may not grow to be as stable as it is currently. Do you have a particular reason for thinking that the current height is dangerous? Is there disease in the trunk or splitting?

Do you know the variety? Do you have a photograph?

Having a tree pruned professionally is quite expensive so offering to help with the cost may make a big difference.