Laying turf

KidKruger

Hi KK..

1. When is the best time of year to lay turf?

You can lay turf all year round, however it is best to avoid laying turf in frosty conditions.

During extended periods of hot and dry weather additional care and attention will be required.

http://www.rolawndirect.co.uk/ask_the_expert-1.html

Might be a good idea to wait a while.. Could still get a late frost or even snow.

DulwichFox

Hi KK,

I used the London turf company last year - they were fine by me.

I'd leave it a month or two - till grass starts growing in earnest - the reason being that the new turf will "take" in 2 or so weeks, whereas currently when grass is dormant it will take a lot longer and there's risk of it moving or becoming uneven in the time it takes to mesh.

Keep it well watered when you do - almost to the point of flooding it, else the turf will contract and leave gaps which you'll have to cover with fresh turf.

Bon chance!

Give up and plant artificial grass. You will need to dig up metres of soil, lay drainage, put down tonnes of good top soil and then seed or turf.

I've tried everything, and still have a garden that is soggy half the year, and cracked the rest. Good for moss but not grass.

I layed mine a few years ago in first week of April - good growing time.

The strenuous bit is digging up the old grass - good luck with that KK! Also its all in the preparation - as you have time, then you should put down the soil / sand base and allow it time to settle - you can then add a levelling layer of top soil before the turf.

I wouldn't rush to get it done in february