where to retire to post east dulwich

mothergoose

Help for not so aged parents please!

Having grown up in East Dulwich as well as moved back to have a family, I personally think ED would be a great place to retire. Great shops and restaurants as well as a social life on tap as and the big bonus of having local family. Plus all the culture of the centre such a short journey away.

My parents are recently retired and are wanting to downsize from their large ED house. But where to? Should they

move out of London and release capital, if so where, or what about a retirement pied a terre locally? I am not much help on areas outside this part of SE London but it does seem as though you don't get a lot more for your money in reachable distance of London without compromising on location.

Move to Deal or Rye and get a 1 or 2 bed up in ED. Our neighbours have that set up and seem to enjoy it.

I'm hoping to do the same but get the flat in Marylebone and restored farmhouse in Tuscany with pool and Olive grove. I'm a bit behind in saving for that though.

They are all significantly different

You could make a case for all of them having their similar chocolate-box qualities but they have completely different vibes. Besides, I named the general areas rather than specifics. Just to choose Devon, living in Plymouth and Exeter are quite different experiences. As are living in North vs South devon

Sussex is still commuter belt land with all of the downsides of that, but a world of difference between Bognor & Brighton

And Peak District is part Yorkshire and you're talking a differenet race up there

As for a care home in Dorset - wherever we end up living we will end up needing care most likely

I like and want to be near friends and family - will be a lovely flat in Bankside for me and the missus if all goes to plan. Country, no thanks!

To OP - they have family and friends and lived here for why move out of London now? Mobility doesn't get easier overtime and it's nice to be near friends and family, they can presumably trade down to something nice?

Orpington has a variety of houses and prices, green areas bordering on farmland.

My parents retired to W. Sussex - both now living in care homes. Due to the high number of retired people in the county the amount of money available for social care, subsidised travel, activites etc is very much lower than some of London. My step mother had a stroke and lived 10 miles from St Richard's Hospital in Chichester. She was refused ambulance or hospital care transport home and had to pay ?25 mini cab fares as could not use bus. She got a few days care at home with personal care, meal prep and was told that since she had an occupational pension she needed to purchase care privately. There was no Stroke rehab provided, she was not offered Reablement Service or Intermediate Care (either of the last 2 should have been offered for upto 6 weeks free of charge)

I would seriously look at the services provided in the area of choice , house prices may be cheap but a ?8 day return by bus to the local big town (without travel concession)can mount up. We found it cheaper to go by minicab for the 2 of us than pay the fare and saved waiting 30 mins for bus.

• 3 years later...

MrBen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Move to Deal or Rye and get a 1 or 2 bed up in ED.

> Our neighbours have that set up and seem to

> enjoy it.

>

> I'm hoping to do the same but get the flat in

> Marylebone and restored farmhouse in Tuscany with

> pool and Olive grove. I'm a bit behind in saving

> for that though.

Has anyone from this area moved to Deal?

Biggin Hill or Knockholt areas every day of the week.

Within the M25 but also in area of outstanding natural beauty (the North Downs). MUCH cheaper than surrounding areas such as Downe or Sevenoaks. Good transport links into central London in under 20 mins. Open fields and countryside, but also 10 min drive to Bromley shopping centre.

Louisa.