The worst post office in London ?

Steviedulwich

I tend to avoid the sub post office in Dulwich Village like the plague as it is often closed, always grubby and I find the owners totally unhelpful. Unfortunately sometimes my parcel deliveries are taken there, on other occasions Alleyn Park . (Alleyn Park are always helpful BTW)..Today I go to the Village to pick up a parcel sent there which was adressed to my partner. I took photo ID with the adress. The woman totally refused to give me the parcel maintaining it was impossible as it wasnt my name and whos best advice was I could come back with my partners ID..ridiculous .I have been with my partner for 24 years, and have picked up hundreds of parcels adressed to him from post offices all over London and have never once had this issue. I had the pleasure of telling her what a dreadul repuation the VIllage post office has and that I would not be spending a penny there again. It didnt of course make the blind bit of difference being confronted with someone who has no concept at all of custumer service. I sincrely hope the place goes out of business, it deserves to.

well may be thats the case, although thats not my understanding....So my question would be why Have I always been able to collect parcels for the last 24 years,never once has it been queried when I show my driving license ? Either everyone else is wrong.....or the Village post office has just discovered a rule book and enjoys using it as weapon on its dwindling amount of customers....either way the place is a grubby disgrace and needs closing

To the OP:

1. I find it strange that people feel the need to rant like this on a public forum about these issues. Best to bring it up with the post office and not come across as a child. Besides, how are we meant to fix it?

2. The worst post office in London. Have you been to them all ?

I think there is every need to let people know when there are services in the area which provide poor service. I do not know why your feel it necessary to sling personal insults (like a child). Shoddy service should be shouted loudly from the roof tops...that is one of the points of public forums..also you seem to have a humour/irony bypass ...'the worst post office in london ' is not meant to be literal.

instead of slagging people off on here perhaps you should use your voice to argue for better services ..it might be more productive

I agree, they are completely unfriendly, lacking in customer service and have been since they were there. Hence, don't use them (I realise you had no choice). I also heard it was closing down soon and the College will be renting out the property....

OP you sound like a london bridge stn moaner. You are supposed to have ID as well you know, and now you find someone doing their job properly you complain! Maybe the next time you go and get a parcel it won't be there as collected by a thief without ID!

Steviedulwich Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> well may be thats the case, although thats not my

> understanding....So my question would be why Have

> I always been able to collect parcels for the last

> 24 years,never once has it been queried when I

> show my driving license ?

I think, perhaps, rumours of the existence of Houses in Multiple Occupation might have finally reached the Village.

Sadly, the lax moral standards of the outside world mean it's now the rule, rather than the exception, for post offices only to hand over parcels to people without matching ID. Although some charmed backwaters have been able to resist the tide for many years - and almost never, contrary to low-minded gossip, on account of excessive kinship - such practices tend to become universal over time, and I'm afraid that seems to be the case here.

It was always, therefore, inevitable that even the Village would one-day find itself host to forelock-tuggers reluctant to take its residents' good characters on trust. So, though painful and even shocking, it was unavoidable that the smudge of suspicion would eventually fall on the post-office queue, as the smoky glow of industry once fell upon Tolkein's Shire. But, if it's any consolation, progress brings benefits, too, and I hope you'll be pleased to learn that the postmistress can longer tell your neighbours about your phone calls.

speedbird Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I agree, they are completely unfriendly, lacking

> in customer service and have been since they were

> there. Hence, don't use them (I realise you had no

> choice). I also heard it was closing down soon and

> the College will be renting out the property....

Dulwich Village PO was supposed to be moving into Shepherd's, but that fell through, so will continue to run from their current premises for now.

• 6 months later...

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I agreed with you Steviedulwich - the PO owners in Dulwich Village are so rude, barely look you in the eye or greet you. But the reason I wanted to post was that every time I go the subpostmaster uses the letter/ parcel measuring device and vaguely tries to put my letter through the gap, touches it with the lightest touch so that it doesn't go through and then charges the higher bracket for larger parcels. I can see that it would easily fit through the gap, but he seems to be cheating the system. I have asked him about this but he just does the same thing again. This happened again today (I had a small envelope with one piece of paper in it and he said it didn't fit through!). So, I said thanks and that I would go elsewhere. Quite annoying not to be able to use the closest PO.

Has this happened to anyone else - I think I am going to report it to PO HQ.

Something similar happened to me in the one near the library when I had a parcel that the guy told me would cost I think about ?7 to send. I had to ask a couple of times if that was definitely the cheapest before he remembered the parcel rates, but since then I've been served by someone else who gave me alternatives that were lower than that. Maybe they're under pressure to sell the more expensive options?

Never had a problem with our local one on Forest Hill Road.

They are fair and friendly.

I had reason to be in Holloway yesterday and remembered I had a card on me I needed to post.

The PO there on Seven Sisters Road is big, and even though there were only a few in the queue every station had staff and they were friendly. but the best bit was that the front third of the space was a fabulous caf? with gorgeous pastries and guess what it was called?

Posta Coffee.

Haha - posta coffee, love it.

Nigello - Yes I am happy to pay the correct amount (new higher prices for the larger size parcels etc) but when the parcel/ letter fits in the smaller size category I feel like I am being charged over the odds.

Anyway - not a big issue really in a world with all the problems it currently has!

Forest Hill road post office is great, the man there will do his utmost to get you the cheapest rate, he is lovely. Also now it's possible to do it all on line and print your postage, so you can make sure you're getting the right rate. I have done this a couple of times this week, and it's useful, but I do prefer face to face!