Pretentious Names

wavyline girl

Just a ridicuous ploy to sell an area as something it's not. It's a bit like selling factory made jam as rural homemade jam by putting a pretty rural label on it. Bellenden Road has never been part of a 'village'. It and the streets around it were built on the fruit gardens that predated it, from the 1870's onwards. It came along with the railway as part of the growing then suburbs of London. If estate agents were to do their research though, they would also find out that it was disproportionately occupied by French Huguenots in it's early days, hence businesses and streets with French names, like the Montpelier and Choumert Road.

Personally I never pay attention to the name of a business. If they are selling something I want to buy at a price I'm happy to pay then who cares what they call themselves. I like Bellenden Road. I like the cafe there (the breakfast one) and I've gotten happily drunk a few times in the Victoria Inn. It's still a Road that caters for everyone imo. But it's not a village - never has been and never will be.

Too Good To Be True Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What about The Lyndhurst Toastrack? A classic

> from GJM Property...

>

> Surely Lyndhurst Ladder sounds better.

There is a Ladder in Haringey, and a Toastrack in Wandsworth, so I guess they are aligning themselves with Wandsworth.

charlesfare Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Never heard human beings with actual souls refer

> to it like that. Gotta put the kibosh on that sort

> of nonsense pronto, it's a bit like when

> collonizers in the New World started renaming the

> roads.

New Zealand was once divided into 3 of the provinces of Ireland.

market gardens, a line of houses, a green and a pond, you couldn't get villagier if you tried!!!

*it ain't a google maps mashup so a bit clunkier than our poilt arses are used to these days. use the zoom button a couple of times and drag it south

The Village Store until recently was a basic quick-save kind of little supermarket,

It found itself surrounded by very smart shops, including an organic type grocery store - ''General Stores'' with very smart front next to it.

The little supermarket, which has always been useful, has risen to the challenge, smartened itself up, given itself a retro front makeover, changed its name and started to provide more interesting veg and provisions. Therefore not losing out to the newcomers.

Talking to the guys who have run it for years, they are very pleased with the response of local consumers- they still provide for basic Peckham necessities but are also giving the new posh deli type places a run for their money.

I think it looks great. They will also get veg in if you ask- I was asking for swedes.

Isnt this the kind of smartening up you all wanted for Rye Lane?

and before you mock, the little retro parade of shops on ST Johns Street in Islington was just such a row of scruffy shops that took a united decision to give themselves a retro makeover with old fashioned matching awnings...and the rest is history.

Bellenden Road looks very pretty now.

Couldn't agree more, Huggers. They still do the core range of groceries and essentials, but have responded to the changes in the area by providing what people want. They've also obvioulsy spotted a gap in the market for a greengrocer. Seems like a good example of how to run a small business.