protected intersections for cyclists and pedestrians

mynamehere

Accepting PokerTime's point for the moment and answering James, I'd propose the only 2 intersections that meet what seem to be space and shape criteria:

East Dulwich Road and Peckham Rye

The South Circular and Lordship Lane

The strict confines of East Dulwich are "blessed" with no major intersection ? !

I'm not particularly convinced about the design of it. It looks like there's scope for lots of pedestrian/cycle incidents as pedestrians end up having to wait/cross three sets of traffic - a cycle lane, the main road and then the other cycle lane. Not to mention that depending on the light phasing, there are going to be a proportion of pedestrians who cross diagonally (I see them doing it at Vauxhall now amazingly given there's no 'all stop') which is going to get messy!

It would only work with its own bike light phases and you may find confident or faster cyclists staying in the main flow of traffic since it's unlikely that the bike lights will be given the same priority as cars. Double sets of lights can cause confusion though for all road users. Without its own lights, it just wouldn't work except for cyclists happy to make a simple (UK left, US right) turn. The straight on cyclists would be taken out by left/right turning cars and the turn right/left ones would have to wait at the far side for the straight on cars to stop.

The SC/LL junction won't work - the pavements on the corner are very narrow unless you took out the left filter lane for the South Circular which isn't realistically going to happen. I can't really think of anywhere locally where it might.

I think the only places where it might work spaces-wise are major junctions in town (e.g. Vauxhall/Lambeth Bridges onto Embankment) but unfortunately, they are already so busy that I can't see any extra bike light phases being particularly welcome to any users. Not to mention that the Embankment is so full of cyclists at this time of year that the congestion in those little bike lanes would be horrendous to try to get out in a limited amount of time.

It's not a million miles away from that Dutch roundabout that was doing the rounds late last year which, I have to say, scared me more than the thought of crossing Vauxhall Bridge in the morning!