Warning: Send passport applications off EARLY

sugarmouse

Just a word of warning hopefully to stop other people going through the stress I've been through this week! I sent my son's passport renewal form off four working weeks before we were due to go on holiday - the website advises leaving three so I foolishly thought I was in loads of time. I sent it via the Post Office's Check and Send service, costing about ?58, and the man agreed that I should have the passport back within three weeks.

I got a text from the Passport Office FIVE days later, to say my passport had arrived. So that was nearly one whole week gone - silly me for thinking taking it to the PO and paying for Check and Send would make it quick!

Anyway, to cut a long story short, after three weeks, I rang up and they said they'd decided to double check my counter-signatory so had posted out another form to his work address using a second class stamp. Argh! That took another four days to receive and sort out by which time I was getting very nervous! To make matters worse, I was told my passport was being sorted out by the Durham office so may have to pick it up there! After being on hold for nearly an hour and a half in total, I was put on the list for an 'upgrade' and had a nervous 24 hour wait until they rang me back and said the only way of getting it in time was to pay an extra ?70 in courier postage! Of course I did this rather than lose the holiday but the whole process was very stressful and took over four working weeks.

Don't leave your passport applications until the last minute, people! It might say 3 weeks but I'd leave 6!

Don't use the 'online' application service either. I did thinking it'd be quicker and all it does is provide you with a print out which you still have to post in but it disqualifies you from the checking service. Plus it's impossible to upgrade later if you need to and none of the call centre people will talk to you. It's a pointless, misleading waste of time and shouldn't be offered at all.

We were quoted 6 weeks so I was worried but like Loz guess it was luck as got it back in 6 days (this was in August for an early Oct holiday last year for our 3 month old). Sorry to hear yours was so stressful, hard to believe it can vary so much!

Another "common sense" posting.

Do you look both ways before you cross the street? Do we need a warning on that too?

It took me 2 months to get my passport back last time - delays are always inevitable. Use some common sense and get organised.

FFS!

Yes despite LL's condescending comment, there is a genuine problem at the passport office right now. There are around 1000 posts on Mumsnet to this effect and people on this very site having to sell holidays because of extensive (10+ weeks) delays.

If you call the passport information line and are told the office dealing with your application will ring you back within 48 hours - do not hold your breath. The info line can generate up to 1000 callbacks a day, and they do not have enough staff to do the calling back.

If Durham is the office dealing with your application, ring them and they will be helpful (ignore the recording telling you only to ring this number if you've received a letter). If you expedite your passport (for ?55) they work to your date of travel - meaning you won't hear back from them until about 3 days before your trip, but then your passport will arrive by courier the day after (providing your application is all in order). This is what I had to do.

Here's the sacred number which no-one wants you to have: Durham Passport office: 0845 6015175.

Going early in the morning (0800) to the office at Victoria and then picking it up the same day - for an extra thirty quid or so - is a good option. I'd prefer to do that than spend extra on the checking facility, especially since my experience at the office was fuss-free and quick. They even have photo booths there.

Lowlander Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Also don't waste your money on the post office "checking" service - just make sure you fill in

> the form correctly yourself!

I disagree. I think it is very good, especially for checking the photo matches the requirements, and any later rejection will cost you a lot of time.

Loz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Lowlander Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Also don't waste your money on the post office

> "checking" service - just make sure you fill in

> > the form correctly yourself!

>

> I disagree. I think it is very good, especially

> for checking the photo matches the requirements,

> and any later rejection will cost you a lot of

> time.

Given that the Post Office don't guarantee their checking service, that half the price is for postage, and that the internet is littered with complaints about the service (not properly checked), there's many who disagree.

If you can't fill in a form properly and check your own photo, it would be a miracle if you manage to book a flight...

Wow, you're easily riled, eh Lane Lover?? I think you'll find a lot of busy working mums forget to send off passport renewals until a month before a holiday - and also believe the three week turnaround time widely advertised on the passport website.

No need for cattiness really!

• 2 months later...