New gastropub rye lane Peckham

Louisa

http://planningonline.southwark.gov.uk/AcolNetCGI.exe?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeResultDetail&TheSystemkey=9554594

http://planningonline.southwark.gov.uk/DocsOnline/Documents/361239_1.pdf

Another interesting development in Peckham, this time along Rye Lane itself. Despite all the faffing around from various local organisations about cleaning up the station it seems gentrification continues apace and may well be pushing onto the main shopping street. Had a good read up and if it gets planning approval will be nice to see a pub opening up down there after the Bun House, the Hope and the Heaton Arms closures of the last decade.

Louisa.

I didn't think that this kind of thing would be coming to Rye Lane itself any time soon. But looks like I was wrong... this place, Four Quarters, Lerryns cafe, etc.

Nice to see the place smartening up a bit, hopefully Rye Lane can retain a mix of businesses to cater for the whole community.

Neither did I Jeremy, not Rye Lane itself anyhow, mostly because of the time it seems to be taking to sort the whole station arcade area out. But as you say, new businesses alongside more established ones will help keep the mix about right and hopefully encourage others to reinstate shop fronts on their businesses and clean up the streetscape somewhat.

On the point of local businesses, and regardless of whatever personal opinions some may have about them, it seems Khan's Bargains have embraced the restoration of the conservation area, look at this exciting planning application below, and the restoration of the original Holdron shop front including a new illuminated Holdron's department store sign above the 1930s building occupied by Khan's.

http://planningonline.southwark.gov.uk/DocsOnline/Documents/358426_1.pdf

Louisa.

I agree it's taking an age and a day to sort out the station area; I don't think we'll see much movement before this time next year at the earliest.

The Khan's restoration looks appealing, stylish and - ! - apostrophically** correct (twice). **This is a made-up word.

There are still agreements to be made on the plans for the station and surrounding area with Network Rail.

I think the Khans plans look great. Benedict O'Looney, the architect has been very involved with Peckham Vision and the Peckham Society over the years and has a strong interest in conservation of historical buildings. Hope it goes ahead.

Would be good to see a gastro pub in the Lane too.