Mice in rented property - whose responsibility to get rid?

Annasfield

I live in a flat above a shop and have mentioned to my landlord on more than one occasion that there are mice in the flat and that I have been trying to get rid of them. He hasn't even acknowledged the problem, let alone offer to help.

I've bought various traps and have caught a couple, but I think prevention is the better solution. I need to stop them getting in in the first place.

Has anyone been in this position before? I just want them out. Finding their droppings everywhere is grim and I feel like I am constantly cleaning.

Have been in this position (twice) and unless you can show that something the landlord should have done has been left undone (unlikely) it is your responsibility.

I can only advise you keep trapping and block up holes that central heating pipes come through or any other gaps however small - mice are more easily deterred than rats and one little hole (often alongside pipes of some kind) could be the source of all the grief.

Maybe worth talking to the shop premises underneath and adjacent - if any of them deal in foodstuffs they may feel it prudent to react to your information (if only for fear of it being broadcast more widely or brought to the attention of the authorities).

I found that those things tou plug in to the wall that make some noise that you can't hear helped quote a lot when we had this problem in an omd flat.

Bit as your landlord is also the shop owner I think I'd want him to at least spkit the cost!

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Don't forget if they're field mice they're

> protected and you can't touch them.

>

> Louisa.

So if you put down a trap do you put a sign up as well 'not for field mice'? You could argue if it's not in a field, it's not a field mouse I suppose.

You must have signed a contract of some sort Anna. If there's nothing in the small print I would say it's the landlord's responsibility. Given that mice can't fly as far as I'm aware then they are coming up from the ground somewhere.

Louisa Wrote:

> Don't forget if they're field mice they're

> protected and you can't touch them.

>

> Louisa.

I'm afraid that anything that empties it's bowels where I prepare my food and hang my clothes is fair game

Louisa Wrote:

> I agree it's not nice but I'm just pointing out

> that legally if it is found to be a field mouse it

> is against the law to harm them in any way. Even

> if you call in rentokil.

>

> Louisa.

Don't think this is correct, dormice yes but not field mice. Field mice are not shown on Natural England's list of protected species.