Any Garden Expert - Identify this plant please

keluar

A neighbour's friend (environment related) said it is japanese knotweed. (which is a major issue) but I search and search and found nothing similar. Now the closest I get is Houttuynia cordata. The flowers are identical.

Flowers aren't - nothing like knotweed - are the leaves the same as the flower - something purple there too.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=japanese+knotweed+flowers&rlz=1C1CHFX_enGB507GB509&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=deSuU8fZF46BPYnVgJgP&ved=0CDUQsAQ&biw=1199&bih=747

keluar Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A neighbour's friend (environment related) said it

> is japanese knotweed. (which is a major issue) but

> I search and search and found nothing similar. Now

> the closest I get is Houttuynia cordata. The

> flowers are identical.

I went to secret garden in westow street with a sample of the palnt. One of the staff confirmed it is houttuynia. two staff confirm it is not japanese knotweed. Nightmare over... Thank you everypne for contributing in this thread.

I class this plant a weed! It spread all over front garden. Could not get rid of it. Have now had professionals in to clear the space, weedkiller, put weed matting down, pebbles on top etc. They finished a month ago and it's poking through already. Has been really hard to get rid of every single tiny bit of root.

ANY IDEAS WELCOME for getting rid of it for good?!

Thanks!

Secret Garden recommended me Garden Rootkill weedkiller by bayer garden. I haven't used them yet but I presume it will work. It was ?3.99. I would also like to thank Ben from Japanese Knotweed ltd. to confirm the plant for me. I have emailed a couple of knotweed removal companies and obviously got no reply apart from Ben.

keluar Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

Now

> the closest I get is Houttuynia cordata. The

> flowers are identical.

xxxxxxx

I am pretty sure it is that.

I have the variegated version.

f.y.il Japanese Knotweed has a growth pattern reminiscent of bamboo. It dies back completely in Winter, emerging in Spring as fast growing green/purplish canes. It can grow metres tall and has heartish shaped leaves with sprays of tiny white flowers. If you happen to be passing by of the council block on the corner of Nunhead Lane and the Rye, there's a stand of it growing amongst the shrubs on the corner.