In your yooooof

ratty

Boring Thursday Muse.

In my yoof between the ages of about 18 and 23 (so between the years of 1988 and 1994 I spent most of my time in an ecstatic haze in various nightclubs up and down the country. I wonder if we use to frequent the same ones??

My little list contains:

Sterns Worthing IN-TER-DANCE!!! (I was a total regular but know that many people used to come down regularly from London)

Paradise Club AWOL - Islington (may now be called the Complex)

VOX Club Brixton - had a night there called LOST and I usually was (Red and Yellows anyone?)

VapourSpace at the Leisure Lounge (Brenda Russell, Colin Faver and Colin Dale)

Fridge (Saturday nights) cannot remember what the night was called but ran between 1993 and 94

Some Place in Bognor Regis the name of which escapes me. May have been Bentleys....

Bagleys - Kings X

What was that place in Wandsworth - huge place got closed down after some kid died there?

I also went to some of the big out door do's including Vision (I think I had one) and a few of the Fantasia's, not to mention spending countless Saturday evenbings cicling the M25.

Make some noise!!!!

And though I prefer London to t'north for a number of reasons, it really is friendlier oop north, and clubbing was waaaaaaaaay better from what I experienced.

Though coke and booze was heavily back in the london scene by the time I moved back south, ruining all that was good about the dance scene.

These days I'm pushing it if I listen to Ladytron.

Here are some memories

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f91d_WooFM8&feature=related Ooh, cringeworthy, the eyes!! Human Traffic makes me cringe with embarrassment too these days.

and this made me chuckle

it really is friendlier oop north

It's friendlier up North if you are from, or sound like you are from, up North - head to Yorkshire sounding a little more southern and prepare to be started on for a list of offenses ranging from "talkin' laaak a fookin' fairy" to "starin' at me pint"...

When I started clubbing it was

Fridays- The LA in Shoreditch which turned into 333

Saturdays-

Love Muscle at Fridge followed by

Trade at Turnmills on Sunday morning and

a while later Sherbert at the Soundshaft on Sunday afternoon- which lasted a couple of years- the best club ever!

Sundays-

FF at Turnmills, which was always a bit manic.

Didn't really get to see much daylight at the weekends.

Hee hee - must say I agree about the North being friendlier .... I have connections with Northwich (just outside Manchester) and whenever I call them I love the fact that I'm called "duck".

And plumbers and painters and the like are amazing up North - reliable and reasonable - even when they hear my poncey accent.

I spent most of my yoof being terribly earnest about indie music and bands - The Town and Country and The Mean Fiddler were faves; and indie nights at the Dome (Camden? Tufnell Park?).

I did "Wobble" in Brum - but spent most of my uni days being a fabulous fag hag in Subway and Nightingales (again Brum).

The Dome (Birmingham) and a club at Five Ways, Birmingham (think it was called Faces though so long ago I can't remember)

As a student in Plymouth in late 80s / early 90s - The Warehouse, The Studio, Oscars, The Ritzy, Jesters (:-$), Sailing School, Sea Anglers...and many more besides

Stamps (formerly the Post Office) - Cannock

The Bowling Green (formerly Stamps and was opposite the local bowling green) - Cannock

Simons (formerly Stamps, formerly The Bowling Green, owned by Simon) - Cannock

Fat Willy's Buzz Bar (formerly Stamps, formerly The Bowling Green, formerly Simons,the new owner apparently had a ....

bar) - Cannock

Cannock DIY and Decorating Centre (guess, its not hard) - Cannock

The Alleyway (in an alley) - Cannock

Chasers (near Cannock Chase) - Cannock

Snoopys (star regular guest was Ian "Sludge" Lees) - Cannock

Skys (on the top floor above Boots the Chemist) - Cannock

The 5th - Walsall

Hungry Years - Brighton

Pink Coconut - Brighton

Zap Club - Brighton

Palais - Hammersmith

Got tinatus, gave up.

I was never a massive clubber (in the sense of getting pilled up and reaching for the lasers), I could usually be found in dirty grungey rock clubs / bars.

However, as a 16/17 year old I did the whole Ministry thing a few times, and in Liverpool I did Cream a few times. Both were shite beyond belief!

18 - 23 I was in Liverpool, and really it's not a major clubby place, it's more about bar crawls in the city centre (or it was 96 - 01).

Did lots of other places, but couldn't tell you the names, and like I say, it wasn't really my scene... Maybe if I'd been 5 years older ;-)

er....my yoof at this wonderful time was (mid 20s)! I did Land of Oz, Shoom (once), several Biology (?) raves round the M25, Planet Love at the Fridge, the Mud club as it suddenly discovered Aciiiied. Camberwell was well into it all then and the Grove would literally suddenly empty when the "go to Junction 17 of the M25" message went out..happy days

*looks in wardrobe for illfitting smiley t-shirt and sweat stained bandana

I may know your missus if she is a sterns Pompey girl. Loads of Pompey used to go up to shoom in them days but I was a little too young then (baby crew and all that). Give your missus a wave for me. :) she probably knows big tony from the market who lives here in ed too.

Club UK

Complex

Gallery

Frantic

Checkpoint Charlie in Reading

Atomic Jam in Brum

And various dodgy nights in London Bridge, Vauxhall and Brighton.

Did Cream once and a bunch of Tribal Gatherings - very amusing. I still can't believe Club UK got away with it for so long. The 2nd bday party was mental - loads of pilled up loons wandering around in the shopping centre. It was all very George Romero.

Anyway, must get back to the baby carrier research...

In 89 - 94 I could be found at:

Sunday nights Solaris, Grays Inn Rd

Monday nights (once a month) Tonka do at the Zap club and then on to the beach

The Milk Bar

Turnmills

Various illegal warehouse dos

Ibiza every summer (still doing that)

I went to a couple of the earlier biggies outside London, I think one was called Blast Off where we had to phone the number to get the address and join the convoy etc etc

Yes - arches at Vauxhaull and there was somewhere at London Bridge (memory a bit hazy, just jogged by BigJim)

Good days

I used to dream about having a youth........ but most of what I had was at Jimmy's, the St Jame's Hotel in Derby.

Twas in the sixties, they were not nearly as swinging as the hype marketeers suggest.

If you got pregnant out of wedlock you were shipped to a different town as often as not, some young ladies had an awful time of it.