Google Glass

Mick Mac

?It?s becoming a true, proactive virtual assistant. ? Once this capability is further refined and expanded, you can expect subtle nudges and reminders that guide you through your day.

?

Although a face recognition feature has been disabled and banned by Google for now, it?s likely that Glass will eventually tell you the name of people you encounter, and remind you about your personal history with that person

Is anyone in favour of this technology ?

Not I. Not only are most of the proposed features pretty much useless, I also don't like the idea of talking to someone without knowing if they're potentially concentrating on something else. And they look ridiculous.

Maybe useful for skiing (piste maps, etc)?

They say that anything invented before you were born is normal, from birth to 35 is exciting, and after that it's the end of civilisation as we know it. Right now I'm going with the last one, but realistically if it's anything like the internet the vast majority of what you see will be advertising or based on incorrect, unverified data. Wonder if the 'nudges and reminders' will be anything like that Office Assistant dog/paperclip thing.

Presumably when the wearer is checking data they lose eye contact with the person they're talking to and get a slightly glazed expression, not unlike a baby filling a nappy. Should make work meetings fun.

Samsung issuing a version in Autumn - a few more coming

It will be proper SciFi in a year or so - it really is the recognition that is the make and break - Needs to recognise and research everything the wearer looks at ;)

El Pibe Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> this has been the stock-in-trade gimmick of near

> future sci-fi for about 50 years. Such things are

> an inevitablilty I'm afraid.

>

> It will eventually be less shit than google glass

> of course.

I can't help thinking that we need to get the basics sorted out first. Better mobile coverage in places like offices/shopping malls/airports/stations, more reliable mobile data, reasonably priced data useage overseas, etc. No point having a head mounted display if you have no internet connection half of the time.

It's like building a supercar when most of the roads are dirt tracks.

I expect a rise in Glass-wearing pedestrian accidents as people walk into traffic whilst watching kittens play trumpets and mouthing the word 'Lol' into their voice-recognition handy-mic.

Only a rise in white-painted Google-Glas replicas tied to railings and lampposts at the sites will raise awareness of this side effect.

It tells you exactly what to do of course :)

One day we won't be able to take them off .... ever.

edit: thinking again this was the plot of the cybermen.

rahrahrah Wrote:

> I'm not sure what problem Google Glass is trying

> to solve. Seems to just be another piece of

> expensive kit I really don't need, but will

> inevitably end up wanting despite of myself. I

> resent it.

Inventors. Innovators. Designers

Loving your work. Some is good some isn't

But

Battery. Focus on that. We use these things all the time now. THats not your fault and it says more about us than you.

But "fix" current battery technology. Do that and everyone will be truly happy with their device of choice

(Google glass has shit battery life, looks awful and is invasive. Those things may all change over time)

Presumably Google Glass makes you and your behaviour more trackable as it's (in theory anyway) the big step forward from Google knowing what you're thinking about, as it does already if you use it to search online, to knowing what you're looking at and influencing how you construct meaning based on that, with all the enhanced advertising potential that offers. We're all going to hell in a handcart, frankly.

StraferJack Wrote:

> Battery.

Yeah I'll add that to my list of "basics we need to sort out first". When a smartphone - almost any smartphone - struggles to last from morning to night with moderate usage, there's surely still some way to go. Walk before you run.

read an article that, rather stating the obvious, moore's law doesn't apply to batteries.

So we have a choice of functionality and speed versus life.

in reality we'll just be surrounded by more wireless, solar, cycling, walking sources of charging in a desperate bid to squeeze a few more seconds of life.

Jeremy Wrote:

> StraferJack Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Battery.

>

> Yeah I'll add that to my list of "basics we need

> to sort out first". When a smartphone - almost any

> smartphone - struggles to last from morning to

> night with moderate usage, there's surely still

> some way to go. Walk before you run.

Yup, I'm sure that's the exact logic that inspired steve Job and anyother visionary nerd you could name.*

*I hope the sarcasm dripped out*

Let's get this pushing thing mastered before we think about those round wheely things