Demo and Union activity

rgutsell

Hiya all

I went to the Demo yesterday and was pleased to see that the "picture House" workers (BECTU is their union)had their banner at the head of the march. See photo. I won't be using a Picture House membership, or attending at the their cinema, or supporting one opening in East Dulwich until they get their house in order. They portray themselves as "a bit of radical/progressive art cinema" and they need to walk the walk.

It was very nice to be in amongst people who are voicing, and acting upon, opposition and alternative views to the current coalition establishment.

R Gutsell

DulwichVillageLady Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Tax payer funded pensions need to stop.

Oh no they don't, they're keeping me in a leisurely life of luxury. Hope I draw it for 25 yrs or more.

Luvverly Jubbly.

rahrahrah Wrote:

> If all the teachers, firefighters etc. who were

> striking yesterday, left to get other jobs we'd be

> in a bit of a pickle don't you think?

Over a million unemployed ? Don?t think so ? If fire-persons [good night sleep on night shift- beds recently taken out] want a change in Government policy ? ALL out strike is the answer ? Unless of course you?re not serious.

Roundabout Wrote:

> Don?t like terms and conditions of any job ?

> LEAVE and get another job ? If able.

Bit of a silly comment, Roundabout, isn't the industrial action centered on their terms and conditions being unilaterally changed ie: not the contract they signed up to when accepting/commencing employment with their employers?

We put a p/t admin/reception position paying minimum wage plus 20% commission on any cases they bring in on Gumtree and within a day and a half I had 70 responses, most of whom had degrees and previous experience (business is small - but I'm hoping to get to living wage by end of the year before anyone starts and I pay myself less than min wage).

I was shocked by the interest and took it off after end of 2nd day because there were too many to go through. I hadn't advertised the commission part, so the people applying were doing so on the basis of it being a minimum wage job.

It seems the dire unemployment situation is real, even in London. Imagine how bad it is outside London.

Surely nobody actually believes that Picturehouse are really that different from any other cinema chain? Just because they occasionally cater to a wannabe highbrow audience with a ballet broadcast, or indie documentary about lesbians in Israel doesn't make them radical or progressive.

If you want to boycott them because they don't pay their staff enough then great, but I hope you've done your homework about every other business you use.

DulwichVillageLady Wrote:

> Tax payer funded pensions need to stop.

'I'm a troll, roll di roll. I'm a troll, roll di roll'....A classic song. If only I could hum it to you in person - but then its all just not interesting enough to waste any more time on. Yawn.

Jeremy Wrote:

> If you want to boycott them because they don't pay

> their staff enough then great, but I hope you've

> done your homework about every other business you

> use.

xxxxxx

Yep.

I'm a public sector worker and was on strike on Thursday.

I currently take home ?100 a month less per month than I did 4 years ago, through years of pay freezes and increased pension contributions. The price of most staples in the shops have increased markedly during that time so I'm in effect even worse off than just ?100 per month. The Government have told us we now face years ahead of just 1% pay increases and more increased pension contributions.

We are the soft targets, paying for the cock-ups of current and past Governments and the greed of bankers.

poor you

I ran a small business during the 2008 downfall and went without ANY pay for 6 months. Forget employer pension contributions

Yes, everythings got harder for everybody. That's because our economy got smaller. Gordon Brown held it off with fiscal easing (which was the right thing to do IMO) but that does leave us with a large structural debt. Up to you: we can *try* to remedy that over the coming dacades or just leave it for our children and grandchildren to pick up

Things are harder for everybody - they will probably continue to.

WRT governments and bankers: remember, there were only a handful of countries worldwide that came out of 2008-10 unharmed. UK got hit hard because its a heavily service based economy with financial services making up a big part of that - but with careful management, hopefully we will not end up like greece.

And while I'm at it: why does everybody always blame bankers? - I am not one, but this "shock, banker gets a big salary/bonus" nonsense doesn't fly with me. In 2011, the FS sector contributed nearly 10% to this country's GVA; between 2005-11, the FS sector contributed 122 BILLION in tax revenues to the exchequer[1]

In hard times, we always look to blame others.

[1] (source https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDYQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.parliament.uk%2Fbriefing-papers%2Fsn06193.pdf&ei=EMvDU7zvGIXW0QXm74DYBA&usg=AFQjCNEZiCnQQfOfYGl83B22ondDPz4_iw&sig2=8kaKBJxLk5eE8Nvt5mS_6g)

Working in IT and everybody's doing that now - is it only IT this is happening.

It's not nice when every other week another person leaves :(

Roundabout Wrote:

> Don?t like terms and conditions of any job ?

> LEAVE and get another job ? If able.