What are you doing on Sun 27 July? Give someone a chance of life.

edanna

A friend of a friend's 22 month old boy, James, has recently been diagnosed with a horrific form of leukaemia called JMML. It can only be treated with a bone marrow transplant and so far, they have failed to find a match on the international registers. Here's his story:

James is not alone. There are currently 1,800 people in the UK alone waiting for a match.

While the search goes on, we're trying to help as much as we can by encouraging people to join the bone marrow registers. It's really easy - a simple cheek swab. And the process for actually donating stem cells is now much simpler and less painful than it used to be - most donors provide the cells through blood transfusions. Here's a great video on what's involved.

We're working with Delete Blood Cancer so anyone between the ages of 17-55 who is in good health is eligible to join.

You can come along and join the register

Sunday the 27th of July

10:00 - 4:00

FEB Offices, 32 Paul Street, EC2A 4LF (Shoreditch)

Please check in at https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/join-the-bone-marrow-register-tickets-12340355335 to let us know you can make it. We need to make sure we have enough kits!

It only take 10 minutes of your time to potentially save a life.

If you can't make it London on the 27th then you can order a kit to be posted to your home: https://www.deletebloodcancer.org.uk/

Thank you

It appears I'm out of the age range (too young). However, given the number of views this post has had and the lack of comments, I thought I'd at least say something.

Everything you need to know is in edanna's first post. Get off your arse's and do something good. You will benefit too and who know's who else. You might save a life and it could be your own.

Thanks for raising awareness, this is a very worthy cause. I've registered online as cannot make it on the 27th - took 5 minutes.

I can't begin to imagine what your friends are going through, hopefully a donor is found soon.

Thanks all - it's really quick and easy to do. You just have to rub two cheek swabs around the inside of your cheek for a couple of minutes. I think the wide age range of people who can become donors is important to point out (even though it doesn't encompass AlanMedic) - I had assumed I was too old before I looked into it.

• 1 month later...