Best Boozer in East Dulwich

Jocky

Lots of defunct boozers coming your way. my guess the winner will be a toss up between CPT, Inside72 and Hoopers ;)

And remember NTV!

EDT was always my stalwart, the Gowlett is probably the best compromise between real pub and sop to modern mores/

El Pibe Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> EDT was always my stalwart, the Gowlett is

> probably the best compromise between real pub and

> sop to modern mores/

The Gowlett looks pretty cool.

Jeremy Wrote:

> Jocky Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The Great Exhibition looks quite styled

>

> What does that mean? And is it a compliment or an

> insult?

a compliment... has soul / flavour / a vibe

Parkdrive Wrote:

> If your criteria is how a pub looks, then I

> wouldn't give the EDT a second look. Do you mean

> best pub as in quality and range of booze, quality

> of staff etc?

I guess loads of factors can determine whether a pub is good or not. Happy to find out about people's choices and reasons whatever they may be :)

The Castle is the only "boozer" left.

And before anyone jumps on me, that is not an insult to anywhere else, but if you're using the term boozer in east Dulwich your options are more limited than they used to be.

Plus they'll often have 2 sports at the same time. It was traditionally a very Irish pub, and they still regularly show Gaelic Football and Hurling, which often clash with English football, so they'll have different sports on either end of the bar.

Not ED Jocky but a good wee Saturday can be had down The Montpellier, Bar Story, Peckham Springs. All SE15, all a short walk from EDT end of LL.

ETA: The Gowlett is also on that route and a good stop...and pizzas are great.

I'm partial to The Bishop on a Saturday between 1pm and 6pm. Home for 6 with my 6 pints by 6pm regime.

Welcome to ED. I arrived over 10 years ago from Scotland, thinking I'd be around for about 6 months. Still here.

Gowlett is very nice, but the shape of it and the low seating put me off (I don't like sofas in pubs, used to hate it when they tried them in my old local). Not to mention the fact that someone on here reported they'd replaced their pool table with a bar billiards table, which, if true, just screams "wanker".

EDT is cool, but can get a bit too busy.

Actress = souless

Bishop is fine when quiet, but always hated it on busy evenings (even when I was mad for a good night out), too many tossers.

I've nothing against The Great Exhibition, and like the outside space both front and back, but it doesn't do a lot for me.

Help-Ma-Boab Wrote:

> Not ED Jocky but a good wee Saturday can be had

> down The Montpellier, Bar Story, Peckham Springs.

> All SE15, all a short walk from EDT end of LL.

>

> ETA: The Gowlett is also on that route and a good

> stop...and pizzas are great.

>

> I'm partial to The Bishop on a Saturday between

> 1pm and 6pm. Home for 6 with my 6 pints by 6pm

> regime.

>

> Welcome to ED. I arrived over 10 years ago from

> Scotland, thinking I'd be around for about 6

> months. Still here.

Thanks for these. Stayed in Peckham when I moved down 3 years ago for a month and a bit so went to Bar Story during my time there. Used to the Montague Arms too - which is closer to Queen's Road. Belter of a pub :)

Otta Wrote:

> Because they have a lot of people wanting to watch

> sport and that's how they make most of their

> money.

Fair enough, but I hate having a TV on in the background all the time. Even though I'm not interested in it, I can't help finding my attention drawn to it.

rahrahrah Wrote:

>I can't help finding my

> attention drawn to it.

I remember a comedian years ago (think it may have been Lenny Henry) saying they should use giant TV screens during riots. Everyone would be kicking off, but then screens showing Corrie or x factor get lowered and people would just be drawn to it.

It is true that you tend to be drawn to a telly in a pub, but I usually only go to the pub to watch football so not a big problem.

I keep having really good straight up pub food in The Montpelier. Good ales there too and prefer the people generally. So thats my pick.

EDT whilst the central staple/hub I find deathly boring drinks wise. Fine to meet for the odd drink but doesnt make me want to stay long. It can also be the most anonymous pub in ED punter wise. Totally random mix and very diff vibes on diff days. "Cocaine and Chelsea" Saturdays is always a favourite. To avoid.

As Otta says, the rest in SE22 are all kind of self-styled / theme places. I enjoy all of them now and again but none really stand out.