Delayed baggage

Alan Medic

My son is on his way to Bangkok but having arrived in Abu Dhabi he is minus his luggage. Left behind in Germany it seems. Is the usual thing to do, to buy whatever you need until the luggage turns up and claim afterwards? Anyone experience this before? I will read up on it but thought I'd try here. He's flying on Etihad.

Two options...

...check his travel insurance who will usually have a ?x per day allowance that he can go spend, keep receipts and then claim back. Although some will want a call beforehand - and most will want something from the airline confirming the delay.

... second the airline, at the point they told him it had been left in Germany, should have given him some guidelines on arrival time and what he could spend. Usually you get a form from them to fill out with the receipts and send back to them.

Thanks Applespider. My post was an effort to accumulate information as quickly as possible. His luggage still hasn't been found. He has travel insurance but my instinct is to go for the airline even if it takes longer. It takes 21 days for it to be declared lost. Having sent them a message via their FB page I got a call today from Abu Dhabi saying they will chase up the bag people. They kindly told me that they would be happy to pay $40 a day for three days so he could buy essentials.

Last year returning from the same place his flight was cancelled in Abu Dhabi. It took some time but I eventually got him the maximum compensation of 600 Euros + the cost of an additional flight. They don't like it though.

• 6 months later...