The Waverley Arms - Brand new Nunhead boozer

jfh

The Waverley Arms is now up and running again after an extensive refurb and we'd just like to spread the word and say hello. Whilst I realise it aint exactly in ED, we're not far away either sitting on Ivydale Rd just at the top of Peckham Rye park.

We took over the pub in early February and after having invested our pennies into this formerly unloved boozer (not to mention plenty of blood sweat and tears), we finally reopened our doors at the end of July. We're new to the pub game having given up our sensible 9-5 day jobs but are loving every minute so far, especially as the initial reactions have been so nice and positive.

We've managed to wangle some great tasting local ales and beers out of Punch taverns, and have an interesting and very reasonably priced wine list that hopefully covers all the bases.

A new kitchen is coming this autumn (the pub has never had a trade kitchen), but in the meantime we're serving great summer grub off our massive outdoor BBQ and have plenty of fancy snacks to keep hunger at bay. Come autumn, we will be serving handmade stonebaked pizzas and hearty salads, and then plan to roll out top-notch burgers, daily specials and a Sunday roast a bit further down the line. The menu will be simple and use high quality ingredients, but The Waverley will be a pub that serves great food, rather than a restaurant pretending to be a pub.

After living in and around the area for the last few years, and having made The Waverley our family home, we really hope you will love the pub as much as we do. We'll be starting a pub quiz and Sunday night piano sing-a-longs, plus a few other events shortly. We're open to ideas and would really appreciate any feedback you'd like to give.

We have a large backroom that would make a great space for parties/functions etc, and during weekdays before 4pm the whole pub can be used privately for any community groups that might be interested.

Hope to see you soon for a drink and a chat.

Jonny & Katie

http://www.waverleyarms.com/

We live on Ivydale road for the last twenty years and have never been to the Waverlery Arms but after reading your post I think we will indeed give it a try in the coming weeks ahead and great to know a kitchen is in the making.

Well done guys

An excellent addition to Nunhead, making it the new cool place to be. I've visited the pub 'before' and 'after' and can honestly say that I was amazed at the difference. All it takes is a bit of love, but Jonny and Katie must be oozing with it by the looks of things...

The people behind this charming and low key little place are good people. They have kept it's character and inside you can feel the history. I almost thought I could see dead people. Walking around like regular people. They serve a lovely pint of Dead Pony. And have a bbq in the eves and after 12 on weekends. Such a contrast to the other new refurb down the road which has been well and truly "clockhoused".

Oh right... I see.

Waverley Arms sounds great, just the kind of local I'd like to have, but is alas a bit of a trek for me. I've never been to the Ivy House for the same reason... maybe I'll kill two birds with one stone one of these days.

6 by 6* Jermey. Works a treat. Im happy to take you through it on Saturday. Keep you up to the required pace on the pint-ometer.

*6 pints by 6pm.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Well... maybe 2hrs out one afternoon with baby in

> the harness thingy...

StraferJack Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> "you need some time alone at home do you? Don't

> worry, I'll take the little one out for a bit -

> you just put your feet up"

If I used that line I'd find myself on the end of a tirade about how there's too much to do for any feet upping.