Cold Water Tank Advice in a Loft Conversion

fredflange

Firstly I apologise for what may be a really boring post, but we are just starting the process of getting quotes for a long awaited loft conversion. And I have just discovered the word Megaflow. Who knew plumbing could sound so exciting. Anyway, the company we like the most is saying they highly, highly recommend us doing away with our cold water tank and installing a Megaflow system instead. At a cost of ?5k + VAT. According to them the noise of the water tank refilling in the eves when someone goes to the toilet in the night will drive us insane, no matter how much soundproofing they put around it. In their words "just ask anyone who has done a loft and not done away with their water tank", so I am.

We have a newly installed condenser boiler (2 years old), the water pressure in the house is great, big hot water tank, plenty of hot water no matter how many taps are running at the same time, all lovely jubbly, so other than the noise of the tank filing up I am wondering if this is really money well spent.

Any advice most welcome.

And apologies it is rather dull and not about Waitrose, M&S Food, or PIcturehouse Cinemas

Thanks

Fred

The main reason most people change to a Megaflow is the loss of pressure issue if more than one hot water tap/shower is in use. If you're happy that your current boiler does a similar job I don't see why you would need to change it. I think the noise issue is a red herring, how often would someone actually go to the loo in the middle of the night?...

Couple of threads that might be of interest.

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?29,1189509,1191148#msg-1191148

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?30,1149042,1188990#msg-1188990

As for noise this can largely be eliminated by using a Fluidmaster valve, or similar, rather than a traditional ballcock type. They are designed to be much quieter than traditional valves.

What red devil said.

Also, the 'noise' of water splashing into the tank can be reduced with a small polythene sheet attached so the water runs down it, I think some cistern mechanisms have a kind of polythene flat tube thingy for the water to run down through - with same effect.

?5k is mental IMO.

"We have a newly installed condenser boiler (2 years old), the water pressure in the house is great, big hot water tank, plenty of hot water no matter how many taps are running at the same time, all lovely jubbly, so other than the noise of the tank filing up I am wondering if this is really money well spent."

What RD & KK said. If you're lucky enough to have this then just move it and box it in allowing for access and should be fine. Like Jeremy I've never understood why large combi's are often deemed not suitable for a house, especially if they work great in a flat. The excuse I got was that you dont have a back up. ie if the combi fails there is no HW storage. But even with storage you'd soon deplete that.

We've got the full upgraded wider pipe from the street, big Valliant boiler and megaflow for pressure. It works well but we still run out of water if we have two baths in a row. Our neighbour (same size house) has an old combi that works a treat and still has decent pressure. Same net result but difference is he didn't spend ?6k.