Ex-Council repair costs (Southwark Council)

Kiteboarder

Hello, I am in the process of becoming an ED resident as well - found a nice property there.

However, I am facing one problem: The solicitor has listed the following:

'Please note that future Major Works are scheduled in 2014/2015 including building electrical works, roofs, wall finishings and health and safety works.'

There are no estimates available at all - but it sounds to me like a lot of work to be done. Anyone has had similar experiences and an idea how to estimate this / where this could end up?

Love the area, really like the property - but scared about getting hit with a massive bill.

Thanks for any insights

Kiteboarder Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hello, I am in the process of becoming an ED

> resident as well - found a nice property there.

>

> However, I am facing one problem: The solicitor

> has listed the following:

>

> 'Please note that future Major Works are scheduled

> in 2014/2015 including building electrical works,

> roofs, wall finishings and health and safety

> works.'

>

> There are no estimates available at all - but it

> sounds to me like a lot of work to be done. Anyone

> has had similar experiences and an idea how to

> estimate this / where this could end up?

>

> Love the area, really like the property - but

> scared about getting hit with a massive bill.

>

> Thanks for any insights

My mum had similar majors completed by Lewisham council a few years ago, about 8, ended up costing her ?20k

Good morning,

thank you for the replies so far!

The property is a maisonette located on Monclar Road, part of the small estate at the bottom of the Champions Hill area. I believe that each 'block' has about 20 odd flats in it, all maisonette (ground floor / first floor and second / third floor respectively)

It's a horrible feeling because they simply won't have a definite answers for you, this was the thing that made us think twice about buying our place at the start of the year.

Hate to say it, but it really is a case of taking a bit of a leap of faith.

What I would clarify is exactly what your monthly service charge will cover (as some of the decoration type stuff should be included), and whether there is any actual scheduled work planned. Outside of that there just isn't much you can do.

Do you mind saying what the asking price is? Perhaps if there is scheduled work you could knock them down a bit...

Walked past these flats a number of times and it appears that major works are taking place. Maybe I have the wrong block off of Arnold avenue. Not so long ago there were a lot of works to roofs etc If I can remember.

What you have to remember is the council will list every possible repair they can to make sure you do not come back and say I did not know that. You never told me.

If major works have been scheduled for 2014/15 they should have issued notices. Of intention, notice of proposal and then results of the tender process.

However you will be left in the dark until the above is issued. Your solicitor should be able to confirm if any of the above has been sent

Know the estate well was always nice.

The service charge is something you should take a good look at can some time surprise.

What ever repairs are done on the service charge will be listed under unitemised repairs these cannot go above ?250 per flat if they do S 20 notices have to be issued.

These are extra on the Service Charge

Ex Council flats and charges can be expensive

Major works are taking place on a lot of Southwark Council properties at the moment/during the near future/into the year 2015/16.

Unfortunately, these properties have been left to stagnate by Southwark Council over the years and now major works are now required.

Good evening and thank you again for the replies!

It is indeed the area off of Arnould Ave, very glad to hear that the area seems to be good in general. It seemed to be very nice but good to hear it from someone local.

I see that it is most likely a leap of faith - so I need to see how big that is.

Spider69, the thing that confuses me is really the roof works - I can see on google maps that the roof was redone in 2012, so why would they so it again?

Also, can anyone highlight what electrical building works might entail? Can they force me to open the internal walls for new wiring or would that be mainly cosmetically / external?

Thank you, really nice community here!

Would not touch a ex council property anywhere. I know someone on the Kingswood Estate (pensioners) who were charged ?33,000 for their share of the works around 8 years ago. They could not find the money so Council put a legal charge on the property.

minder Wrote:

> Unfortunately, these properties have been left to

> stagnate by Southwark Council over the years and

> now major works are now required.

Like central government policy has had nothing to do with that!

To the OP...

As a leaseholder there are some aspects of internal works that would not apply to you, like renewal of bathrooms, kitchens, electrical wiring and central heating. Anything connected to buildings maintenance and communal areas will apply to you, like roofs, windows and doors, landings, stairways etc.

All local authority property is now subject to decent homes standards, which is why suddenly over the past decade there has been a push to replace windows, doors etc.

The cost of such works, and sevice charges has to be factored into any purchase price. There is a reason why ex-local authority property (in communal blocks of flats) are some of the cheapest options on the market after all.

be wary of buying an ex council place with southwark council as the leaseholder.

I was hit with a 22k major works bill about 4 years back and it caused no end of heart ache.

the estimates where all over the place and the quality of the work questionable, it seems the more money they spend the greater their cut i.e 10% I think.

if I had my time over again I would probably avoid it.

the vendors are probably selling as they know this is coming up and want out before the bill hits, this happening in the flat next to mine, the new tenents moved in and 3 months later got hit for 22k.

melvininthepalace Wrote:

> be wary of buying an ex council place with

> southwark council as the leaseholder.

> I was hit with a 22k major works bill about 4

> years back and it caused no end of heart ache.

> the estimates where all over the place and the

> quality of the work questionable,

More or less the same thing happened to my mum with Lewisham Council a few years back. I'd steer clear of ex council places

The sellers should undertake to pay for the work, otherwise it's not worth buying. The fact that you know about it is to your advantage. Did you find out from the sellers or from the council.

I previously owned an ex council flat and was landed with an initial bill for about 12k, with more work to come. That bill included some new windows, a new front door and some terrible paint work on the outside of the building which peeled off within the first year. There were only 2 leaseholders in the small block as well, which means the council have to shoulder more of the bill.

• 2 years later...

Hello,

Just found this thread as I am trying to find out more about costs of major works.

Kiteboarder, did you end up buying the place? And if so, how much did the works cost?

I am also looking to buy a similar property over in Nunhead - its a maisonette, 14 flats in the block, 7 on the ground and 7 above.

The council has a new major works plan, which will include work to this block in about 4 years time. No estimates of cost yet though. They are saying it will encompass repairs and renewals to roof, windows, doors, as well as stairways, walkways, balconies, railings, storage areas etc. - so it covers a lot.

We like the place and the area, but a worried about getting hit with a big bill in a few years.

If anyone has experience with a similar property then please do let us know.

Thanks.

My daughter just received a bill for eighteen large. Out of the blue. Out of this she got a new front door that she didn't want and the walkways have been messed about with.

After a dispute she gave in and set up a payment plan. The council messed up the instalments, demanded full payment and threatened her with court action. When their mistake was pointed out to them, they refused to apologise.

Since then she has received a letter saying that there is a dispute with the contractor over an outstanding amount so depending which way that goes prepare herself for a further bill.

Of course the council tenants pay nothing despite the new motors in the car park. Southwark sees leaseholders as a cash cow.

The council is inept, negligent and borderline criminal. There is a stitch up deal with the contractor.

But don't let me deter you...

It's not just Southwark- I know personally of one other who is just as bad and I daresay others- I would not be surprised if the leaseholders pay the lion's share. You can of course contest the cost and get info about how to do that - the council should enclose this info when they inform you of the works and the cost. If there is a stitch up deal with the contractor as steveo says then you will be wasting your time following it up. There should be leaseholders' meetings also....I wouldn't trust any of them either- I'm selling asap

Thanks all for your words of advice. We're taking the weekend to consider - as you say the cost for the space you get seems great, but we are not in a position to materialise 20k-30k on request (who is?). As you point out, the investment made by individuals won't necessarily translate into improving the property's market value - the contribution being asked feels uncomfortably skewed. It's a hard decision as we do like living in the area!

Thanks.