Peckham Rye Station - don't be a dick!

Jeremy

You have to go up two flights on stairs at Peckham Rye to reach a platform. There is no lift.

If you see a parent struggling with a pram, or anybody else struggling to carry something up/down the stairs, why not offer to help them? It's pretty amazing that so many people seem to have absolutely no interest in helping others out.

Agree with OP - and that includes station staff: if there are three of you standing around chatting while watching someone struggle up or down the stairs, feel free to pitch in (and yes, I did say make that comment to the staff in question at the time, too).

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Usually I just pretend to be blind.

>

> The downside is that instead it's me who gets

> helped-up the steps - which means uncomfortable

> small talk.

Yes, but this can also facilitate an 'accidental fumble' when you go to link arms...amateur!

I've seen a few people helping carry in Peckham Rye - usually someone jumps in before i can offer.

Its the queues to the gates at peak times which are now bad - sometimes there's only a single gate..

Obviously should be an extra gate for hipsters - a hip one - maybe on the "I Love Peckham" theme. :)

Good on you JohnL, but anecdotal evidence suggests you're in the minority.

When a woman stands at the bottom of the stairs avec buggy and nobody offers to help... and then starts asking passers by who all apprently have dodgy knees/hips... and then starts carrying the bloody thing up the stairs on her own and still nobody steps in... your faith in humanity starts to take yet another nosedive.

I love helping people get their prams upstairs. If you have the upstair side you can give the pram a bit of a wobble at the top and most times flip the little bugger right out.

If you're lucky, they go down the stairs a bit like a slinky.

mima08 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Agree with OP - and that includes station staff:

> if there are three of you standing around chatting

> while watching someone struggle up or down the

> stairs, feel free to pitch in (and yes, I did say

> make that comment to the staff in question at the

> time, too).

I avoid PR station at all costs and will even get a bus to herne hill/ Denmark hill and then a bus home because those stations have lifts.

It wasn't at Peckham Rye but at Herne Hill when the lifts were out that I was told by a member of the station staff they were not allowed to help for 'health and safety reasons'. I imagine it's the same at Peckham.

But sometimes PR station is unavoidable. I have found that mostly it is only when I hoist the pram up a couple of steps myself that someone helps. And I hate to jump on the anti-hipster bandwagon because it's a cliche but sadly they really do exist in a bubble. I don't think they even compute someone needs help. It makes me feel invisible in my neighbourhood.

It's not just hipster Central Peckham Rye, Lewes is just as bad!

I've even seen people there struggling with suitcases!!!

Joking aside, I always find it shocking when I see people struggling up stairs with buggies on their own...whilst I limp past, headphones blaring & intently rummaging in my bag like my life depended upon it.