How long does a gas boiler last for?

Alan Medic

We have one which heats the water and must be 15-20 years old and still works. It was serviced a few years ago. Given its location in the loo which we need to redecorate, would it be wise to get a new one first? It occurred to me that as it will eventually give up it would be wiser to change it before rather than after redecorating.

Any thoughts please?

15-20 yrs is good going, especially if you don't get it serviced regularly. They reckon on 8-12 years. Of course manufacturers say less.

Probably wise to get a new one but I bet it won't last as long as that one. Will probably be much more economical though....

How do you intend to decorate, a simple coat of emulsion? If so, I wouldn't have thought it would be expensive or time consuming to redecorate when you eventually get a new boiler. Or if you're going for a costlier finish like tiling, you could box out (allow for ventilation) the current boiler and pipework, and decorate around it. New boilers tend to be smaller than older models, so it should fit within boxing out, some simple research will confirm...

I've just removed a boiler from the house that's been going 22 years, only needed the pilot fault replaced a year or two after purchase, clean sailing since then. I only removed it to upgrade entire bathroom, but I have no reason to believe it wouldn't have still run for years more.

Our boiler was installed in the late 80s. Still going strong and shows no signs of giving up.I tend to think that if something has lasted that long then it's simply made of sterner stuff so why risk a new one until you really have to? But it might be worth having it serviced. Red devil makes a good point about the size. If you are going to tile keep a few extra.

My Dad' boiler was fitted in 1978 when he moved into his house, and was only replaced this year! So I would say that if yours is still working, there probably isn't much need to replace it. Having said that, in my old flat, we had a boiler that was some indeterminate age, but more than 15 years old, and it packed up. When I had it replaces my gas bills (heating and hot water) did drop significantly, so it's swings and roundabouts.

My boiler dates from 1998, still going strong with only one minor fault in that time. My feeling is to hang on to it for as long as I can. The trouble with the new ones is that, yes, they are more energy efficient, but they are so complex that they often go wrong, so you probably won't save any money in the long run.

Mustard Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The new ones last about 5 years, apparently.

I don't think that's true. Just a line plumbers (or service contract engineers) will tell you if they want to sell you a new one. If should last at least ten years of normal use unless it's a complete piece of crap.

My Dad's boiler was fitted in 1749, made by the blacksmith who hammered swords for the King, tis still working....

Mustard Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The new ones last about 5 years, apparently.

I really think boilers will still give you 20 years or so, as long as they're fitted well and faults are remedied as they occur. I guess check on the EDF in two decades and find out !

Mine is quite elderly - it's Bosch and Bosch bought Worcester in 1992 and I am told thereafter labelled their boilers with the Worcester brand, so reckon it's going to be over twenty years old.

I am replacing it this winter because it's starting to need a couple of minutes to warm up before you can have a hot shower, and it was quite badly installed / suspect is less efficient than a modern boiler would be. But if I didn't have the money I reckon it would do another winter or two. Does seem to have gone a bit downhill over the last year or so though - it didn't take this long to warm up when I bought the house in 2011.

>>Although there's an argument about efficiency and saving on bills A gas Installer told me modern com-bi boilers fail more often so its swings and roundabout.

That's just what I said: The trouble with the new ones is that, yes, they are more energy efficient, but they are so complex that they often go wrong, so you probably won't save any money in the long run.