The I Don't Go Anywhere For Sunday Lunch Thread

aquarius moon

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A Toby carvery is a staple in Croydon and Bromley.

> You people haven't lived.

>

> Louisa.

This thread is for people that don't go out for Sunday lunch.

So recommendations for nice meal ideas to eat indoors would be more appropriate please.

Never been/unlikely to ever visit a Toby carvery.

Sunday dinner for us tonight was pasta, with chorizo and prawns. 15 minutes from fridge to table, what's not to love! Last week I splashed out on a beef roasting joint, which happily came in at ?7 and fed 5 of us (3 kids) with leftovers. Always looking for new food ideas!

Macaroni cheese and garlic bread (my all time favourite meal) was our dinner on Friday.

Sunday roasts are a rarity for me. I really do think they are highly overrated. Last weekend though I was treated to one in the Queen's Head in Hawkhurst washed down with a blooming lovely bottle of Argentinian Malbec. And very pleasant it was too.

http://whatpub.com/pubs/MAI/77/queen-s-inn-hawkhurst

This evening I made Spaghetti Bolognese at home, this time accompanied with a couple of bottles Cabernet Sauvignon. Some of which made it into the sauce.

Next week I may not be so lucky coz I'm skint.

aquarius moon Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Because I never do and am a little bit tired of

> reading about it on here.

>

> Today I had macaroni cheese & garlic bread AT

> HOME.

>

> Some of us unfortunates that have to work Sundays

> don't have time to make a roast or the wealth to

> eat out.

I can't seem to find the Sunday Lunch Thread, of which you speak. Unless you're refering to the paltry "The Rose" thread in the Business section

Anyway, it's horses for courses. I managed 3 yesterday, courses not horses, but had Horse been on the menu, i'd have considered it

In the spirit of your eating in thread, I will be cooking a 3 rib beef joint today. Monday home roast is possibly better than Sunday. An indulgent and comforting way, to fire this wet week up

Add a pan of roast vegetables, some quinoa and Puy lentils and you're done. That said, I may do some baked cheesey leeks too

A couple of bottles of wine, may feature

Nice thread, happy to contribute

Ps. What days off do you get off AM

yesterday lunch was a bacon sarnie whist I raked about 100 sqm of lawn followed by clearing an outhouse of an old fridge, cooker, bath, two toilets, a sink 8 tons of polystyrene, a very manky boiler suit and 150 old barley sacks.

Dinner was a squash risotto, and very nice it was too.

I do like a good roastie on a sunday, but this was not the weekend for it sadly.

I also think roasts are vastly overrated. And I've never jad a decent roast potato when having a roast out, and that includes places like the Palmerston.

Best roasts I ever had out were from the now departed Woodman on Kirkwall, they were ?7.50 (this is about 5 years back) and I'm not being all working class champion, they were really good quality cooked by an old lady.

Yesterday I had 2 pieces of chicken and chips from the Favourote in penge. It was proppa!

Wacked a chicken curry (few bits of chicken breast, korma sauce, coconut milk, onions, frozen mixed veg and chicken stock) in the slow cooker in the morning.

Ate it for dinner.

Put the rest in the fridge for the week.

I find roasts far too troublesome/wasteful.

:)

P.S Please don't tell me you can always 'use the carcass to make a stock' because who can be arsed.

I would have thought anywhere popular would have such a turnover that fresh roasties would be constantly on the go.

What I absolutely cannot forgive are those awful "roast" potatoes places buy frozen in bulk. Naming no (ahem.. The Dog..) names.

A roast at home is almost always better, but to be fair it's a lot of effort.

I guess it depends on how elaborate you want it. If I have guests I'll have much more variety than if it's just us.

And given I married an irish potnonomicaphobia sufferer, it's usually just the meat, butternut squash, red cabbage and good gravy, piece of piss.

You need a minimum of Meat, potatoes, 2 veg, gravy. Ideally meat cooked on a bed of veg to munge up into the gravy. Yorkshire pud is essential for beef, or stuffing with chicken or pork. Maybe chipolata sausages.

You're talking at least an hour of prep and 30 mins washing up. Worth it for a big family meal though!