Crystal Palace Sports Centre

jimbo1964

Thanks for posting this, very interesting.

One of my brood has recently started athletics at CP and is devastated. Although, as I sit in the stand watching her I do think the seats are incredibly tatty and so much more could be made of it - a primary school wasn't quite what I had in mind!

Another of mine also does lessons in the basement swimming pool, which I have always preferred to ED as the pool is approx 1m deep all over and great for nervous beginners. The kids do progress with confidence to the Olympic pool.

The changes are sad but inevitable as it is a massive space ripe for development. Sure that any new primary school there will have a massive catchment area as it is a fair hop to any nearby housing - no doubt more housing in the immediate surrounds will follow.

Will defo pop to one of the consultations but will no doubt soon be looking for a new athletics club :(

Responsible department: Department for Culture, Media and Sport

Mayor of London Boris Johnson has launched a consultation providing four alternatives for the future of the Crystal Palace National Sports Centre site.

All four options include the building of a primary school and a new building for Capel Manor College, where the athletics track sits.

Under the proposals, the indoor track could also be removed from the sports centre.

Athletics groups that train at the track have attacked the proposals.

The impact on south London, where there is a wealth of sporting talent, will be disastrous. It is the only purpose-built stadium in the capital bar the Olympic Park.

These plans must be stopped.

Please sign the petition: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/70880

RunnerEternal wrote:

> These plans must be stopped.

>

> Please sign the petition:

> http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/70880

Why should they be stopped? The sports centre needs work, the raised concourse is a mess and I hear the indoor tracks and the stadium seating lie largely unused.

Don't some of the options include leaving the track for training? Why not push for those?

Bottom line is that the current facilities are decaying and no one is going to stump up the money for the refurbishment and upkeep of stadium seating that is hardly used.