What's the best long walk in the UK?

steveo

Athlete? No. Happy to cheat a bit? Yes. We spent the night before with a friend in Gateshead who gave us a lift to the "start" (about 10 miles in) the next day.

Accommodation wise it was a B&B followed by a bunk house then another B&B, which were ok but nothing memorable.

It's quite easy walking but to me the scenery was a bit dull. If you're a regular walker (I'm not) and want to cross it off your list then fine, but to be honest I'd far rather spend a week on somewhere like the dales way.

It's

I did this one in 2013: http://www.ldwa.org.uk/Surrey/W/2323/founders-footpaths-anytime.html

It was the founding walk of the Long Distance Walking Association (cool dudes) and is 26 miles long and doable in a day in time for a finish at the Abinger Hatch pub: http://theabingerhatch.com/

It's easy to get to from London and has long and beautiful stretches away from people/roads/noise....

For me it's the Pennines. Walked a lot of it, always in separate visits from 2 days to a week.

I've only ever hiked it, with less sightseeing and mainly on the trail, I just want the moors all day.

Also recommend West Highland way for more dramatic/steeper scenery.

Pennines or peak district, say Sheffield to Hathersage is beautiful or the area around Castleton.

Closer, anywhere on the South Downs Road, particularly around Devils Duke. Access the materials for Trailwalker and do any bit of that. Better still enter trailwalker and do lots of lovely long walks in training.