Caught in yellow box outside Peckham bus station

yeti

Has anyone else been fined at this location? There are two sets of traffic lights when travelling west along Peckham High St. I was in a slow moving queue of traffic which stopped when the far traffic lights turned red and found myself stuck in the yellow box with no where to go with an unmoving camera trained on me from behind.

The following day,when on foot,I watched this junction and it seems to happen to other people very regularly all under the eye of the unmoving camera. Transport for London must be making a lot of money out of this camera.

Presumably the traffic light sequences could be changed to prevent people getting trapped but I do not think that they have much incentive to do that.

Aren't you supposed to wait until your exit route is clear before you enter the box though - i.e. don't enter the box at all unless you can see there's a space for you to get out on the other side? I can't see how the speed of the traffic would make any difference to this? However I do have sympathy for the dismay at the greed and lazy approach to road traffic management that TFL & local authorities take.

I've been caught there in a similar scenario. Traffic was moving steadily (albeit slowly), and suddenly stopped - maybe due to someone abruptly cutting into the lane - and then the lights changed.

But the way I see it, I made a judgement not to wait outside the box (IMO if you drive defensively in London, other drivers will take advantage and you'll never get anywhere). It was a judgement that didn't pay off... so unfortunately it's a fair cop.

I have, a couple of years ago. I only had my bonet over it as I realised last minute but managed to cross the yellow line and I wasn't far off. I got the fine a few weeks later. You might get lucky as in recent years they're trying to kerb the money that councils are making on this but it is a yellow box junction so it is a sure fire money maker.

uncleglen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It is possible to get caught in a box if the exit

> is clear if there are 2 lanes of traffic and an

> evil swine comes up on your left and cuts in.....

If that is the case then any appeal would be successful, providing you had entered the yellow box before the person cut across. Yellow box law is not as simple as most people think.

One of those box junctions may possibly be unenforceable, as the law says that yellow boxes can only be placed "at a junction between two or more roads". If the entrance to the bus station is not an official road, then it would be an illegal box junction.

The problem with these yellow boxes is that cars queue to turn right down Peckham High St plus there are often parked cars suddenly reducing the 2 lanes to one ,this causes congestion . Cars pull out into the right hand lane to avoid the parked/delivery vehicles and stop the previously moving traffic .

It's very easy to get caught here , the traffic is moving and you think that you'll exit the cross hatching ,only to find it suddenly stops .

Yes Yeti,,,that happened to me too!! So annoying,I will not drive that route again,,as you say,,,we can all see and know the rules,but if someone in the right hand lane realizes they are in wrong lane,late,and are let in to left lane,you or me are stuck,and unfairly fined,,,,it does need adjusting,the sooner the better!!Until it does I go Camberwell Grove,Lyndhurst,to get to Peckham,once bitten,twice shy...grrr

I got caught just after it had been created. Took it on the chin because I wasn't paying attention, a case of driving a familiar route and being inattentive. I have since seen how it can be easy to get accidentally caught but bottom line is we all need to slow down and look where we're going.

• 2 months later...
boo hoo - just got a ticket for this - was a very busy road looked like I was going to be clear and the traffic was moving - I had a green traffic light and then the lights ahead must have changed and I got stuck.... will take it on the chin and just wait until I'm absolutely sure next time ....