Bars in the Shard

ed_pete

I've been for drinks in Hutong for a special occasion. We went on a Friday at about 5pm. We didn't eat, and didn't book a table - just rocked up at the bar and say down at a table. Stayed for a couple at about ?10-12 a pop for a cocktail, plus 12.5% service. The toilets were pretty special, and we lived pointing out all the landmarks from up top. Afterwards we walked along the river to the horniman - a very nice evening out.

Ed Pete - a side option for you would be to book a table (request south or West facing if you can) at the champagne bar at the top of Tower 42. Long thought of as naff 1980s kitsch, it now has the best view of all the new skyscrapers that have since risen around it. This includes the Cheesgrater, part of the gherkin, heron tower and south to the shard itself. I actually think you get a better perspective than being up the shard at the highest point. And plenty eating options around there in city or Shoreditch farringdon for after.

Henry_17 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Alan,

>

> Why did your colleague refuse to pay the service

> charge?

>

> Henry

The waitress had to walk a few yards to the table to deliver the drinks. She didn't think given the price of the drinks an additional charge should be paid.

I've been to both Aquashard and Hutong bars at The Shard several times, on a Friday or Saturday evening. Never had an issue with getting in and have always managed to get a seat and table in Aquashard bar. The service charge thing can be annoying... They charged it even when I ordered at the bar. I refused to pay it on that occasion but happy to pay it when having table service. The cocktails are nice. A bottle of Veuve Cliquot will set you back around ?70 (excl. service).

I've been to the Aqua Shard a couple of times, generally with friends from out of town for the views.. It's a bit touristy and you need to do a bit of hovering for good seats, however, the views are awesome. Won't let you in with trainers on (as I found out the first time I tried to go)

Ron 70