Buildings & Content Insurance - how much?

The Minkey

My buildings and contents renewal has come in - 674.67 p.a. I took out the policy in 2006 & think I pretty much went with default settings, no high value items or away from home cover, that kind of thing. It's for a 3 bed semi built 1920-30. People keep telling me it's a lot so I wondered how it compares with others locally?

Assuming you have a clean claims history and no issues with the property (subsidence, previous structural problems) you should be able to knock 30-40% off that. Have you tried any of the comparison sites? They're all about as good as each other as far as I can see.

Squeaky clean history & no issues with the property. I did a comparison using USwitch which returned only 7 results of which only Ensleigh came in cheaper.. Today I got a quote from Saga whose best online price was over ?750 which included their 20% online discount. They did come down a fair bit when I spoke to them this afternoon, so I'll take your advice and give my current provider a call to say I'm going to them for Ensleigh/Saga.. ;-)

I use a broker. Always use a broker. Every quote they have ever offered have been cheaper than on the few occasions I have tried using a comparison site. And when I found one quote cheaper than the broker, they investigated what was involved and explained that the offer did not include certain aspects of an insurance policy that I need.

The only time I used a broker, I belatedly discovered that the reason the insurance premium was cheaper was because the excess was very much higher, despite my having specifically asked the broker whether it was the same as my existing insurance.

Luckily I was able to return to my old insurer :(