Scout/cub/beaver groups...religious discrimination

Doodle1

Hi.. I write as I am very disappointed with a local beaver group who turned down our approach for our 6 year old son to join as he was not catholic.

In a world that has become more secular and many societies religiously diverse I find it abhorrent that the scout organisation can discriminated like this... To quote the founder Baden Powell "..a youth organisation which is independent of any single faith or religion..."

Am I wrong to be so disgusted?

LumpenProle Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Why not look up the Woodcraft Folk?

>

> From what I have heard, they pretty much do all

> the scout-type things without the religion. Also

> no unsavoury historical association with

> colonialism or fascism.

My kids go to this

We call it Commi Cubs, but it is good fun

With the odd Union march/event thrown in

What's not to love

There are other Beavers packs. Try the 34th at the Rye Hill Tenants Association Hall - it's on the Nunhead side of Peckham Rye, on Monday night. There is another pack on Belenden Road too. And do report the other lot.

34th draws boys and girls from Goodrich, St John & St Clement's, Ivydale and Heber primary schools - no doubt there are children from other schools too. Your chld might find it easier to join a mixed pack as presumably that other pack is going to be full of children attending the linked school.

I totally agree- it should be reported....these 'faith' cults are responsible for all the divisiveness in society today and should be challenged at every opportunity- I feel very sorry for any child for example, who ends up in a Catholic school and finds out he/she is gay.....

Hi Doodle 1

My name is Paul O'Brien, I am the County Commissioner of Scouting in South London, I am very sorry this has happened to you and I would like to get to the bottom of this. This should not have happened and I would like to stress that we are fully inclusive.

Our Equal Opportunities Policy states

The Scout Association is part of a worldwide educational youth movement. The values, which underpin and inspire its work are embodied in the Scout Promise and Law and in the Purpose of the Association.

No young person should receive less favourable treatment on the basis of, nor suffer disadvantage by reason of:

Class or socio-economic status;

ethnic origin, nationality (or statelessness) or race;

gender (including gender reassignment);

marital or civil partnership status;

sexual orientation;

disability (including mental or physical ability);

political belief;

pregnancy;

religion or belief (including the absence of belief)

All Members of the Movement should seek to practise that equality, especially in promoting access to Scouting for young people in all parts of society. The Scout Association opposes all forms of racism.

Please could you email me at [email protected] and we can discuss what happened and I can deal with it.

Kind Regards

Paul O'Brien

County Commissioner

South London Scouting

Doodle 1 and Paul O'Brian, my son was also declined entry to a local Cub group (I assume the same one) as we are not catholic - I was also very upset about our child being discriminated in this way from our nearest cub group. It was only due to my son's persuasion that I continued to explore other groups and he now attends the 34th Camberwell at Rye Hill Tenants which is a mixed group with a strong community ethos. Its a shame though that we have to trek for 20 minutes across the park in the dark in the pursuit of inclusion - shameful.

When my daughter wanted to join the Brownies. the pack that met at her school, St. Anthony's, had a long waiting list, so she joined the one based at Christ Church which did not have a waiting list. Father O Connor had a go at my husband (who is Catholic) as to why he permitted her to attend a non catholic pack. We were surprised as we never acquainted scouts/cubs/brownies/guides with religion and just assumed that most packs met in church halls

Nice public response from Paul O'brien.

I was in the cubs. I learned how to make a bed with those military sheet corners. And also how to make a fried egg sandwich for old Mrs McCorkindale. Both helpful skills still in use today.

Doodle1 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> thanks for all your replies ..As an atheist, I

> guess I was being a tad naive.

> My son does believe in god... Although he also

> believes in Father Christmas!

> I will def look up woodcraft folk...

I know the son of the founder of the woodcraft folk. He is a lovely man, crazy as a coot, and at his advanced age still smokes reefer.

And god is Father Christmas

Young children and and religion do not mix... we should be encouraging independent, questioning minds in our next generation. Not filling their heads with claptrap, with no rationale behind it other than "because I say so".

Of course you have every right to be angry, but personally I'd be relieved to have been turned away.