Carnegie Library Consultation

Carnegie Project

An exciting new project has been launched which aims to transfer the historic Carnegie Library building in Herne Hill from Lambeth Council to a new charitable trust, to run it as a ?community hub?. An exhibition and public consultation about the project is now open in the main room of the library.

Visit the library to see the exhibition and have your say in the consultation. Or visit our website to see all the consultation materials and an online version of the consultation questionnaire. http://www.carnegiehernehill.org.uk

The consultation is open until Wednesday 17th December.

Exhibition hours:

Monday 1pm to 8pm

Wednesday 10am to 9pm (extra late evening)

Friday 10am to 6pm

Saturday 9am to 5pm

Open day Saturday 22nd November, 10am - 4pm

The Project Group, architects and volunteers will be at the library for questions and tours of the building.

All are welcome: please come along to find out more about this beautiful historic building and to have your say on its future. Refreshments will be provided.

Volunteers Evening Wednesday 26th November, 7pm - 9pm

The project is being run almost entirely by local volunteers. If you have some time and skills to offer and would like to help the project to succeed, please come to a welcome evening for volunteers to find out more. If you would like to come, please email us at [email protected]

We look forward to gathering the views and opinions of the local community on the options for the Carnegie. Please take part if you can and please help us spread the word about the consultation. Thank you.

Carnegie Library, 192 Herne Hill Road, Herne Hill, London SE24 9PY

website: http://www.carnegiehernehill.org.uk email: [email protected] twitter: @carnegiehernehl

Usually community projects like this stand or fall on the support of the locals who already use the place or live in the immediate area. Given it's in Herne Hill / Loughborough Junction, could you say why you are looking for volunteers outside that community? East Dulwich has two libraries of its own already so people may find it helpful to know how your project sits in relation to this area.

Hi Townleygreen, the library service itself would still be run and staffed by Lambeth council. The project is aiming to make better use of the rest of the building, hopefully adding things like a cafe and more space available for community use. We will also need to rent out some of the building, and the consultation is asking for people's views on that.

Robert Poste's Child, we've posted on here because I know lots of people living in Herne Hill look at the EDF - I'm one of them - and we just want as many people as possible to hear about the consultation and the chance to get involved in the project. Most people who have volunteered so far live really close to the library. We have put leaflets through doors of the houses nearby. We're now just trying to get the word out as much as possible while the consultation is still open. It's not about trying to compete with Dulwich libraries for custom, more letting people know that there is an opportunity to be involved in an interesting local project.

I got involved because I love the building, walk past it frequently, hate the fact that it's often closed, and would love to see it open longer hours and have more stuff going on there.

Hi, I made the posts above to publicise the consultation on behalf of the project group.

Speaking purely for myself now, I also received the document you mention which was circulated to all the Friends of Carnegie Library, but I could not make much sense of it. Clearly there are many people who have very strong feelings about the library, and they are not all going to agree on the best way to protect it from the impact of the ongoing budget cuts that are affecting every local council in the country. But if you want to know more about exactly why someone has written something, it's probably most sensible to ask the person who wrote it.

Update on the consultation:

As part of the exhibition and consultation on the architects? Outline Options for the development of the Carnegie as a Community Hub there will be a public meeting on Wednesday 10th December from 7pm in the Carnegie Gallery.

The architects and the Carnegie Shadow Trust Board will talk though the Options and there will be a contribution from Lambeth Council followed by a Q & A session. Refreshments will be provided. Please come along if you are interested and let us know your views.

If you can?t make it on the 10th we hope that you will take the opportunity, before the consultation ends on 17th December, to let us have your views either online or by completing a hard copy questionnaire which can be found at the exhibition stand in the Carnegie. Thank you.